Janoel Incubation Experience

So, it looks like my incubator humidity is running, on average, 20% higher than what the machine says. I have absolutely no water in there and am averaging 40% humidity on the hygrometer. Temperature-wise I have one thermometer reading 99 and the other reading 100. I'll be candling on day 7, which will be March 19th.

Excited to see your Turkey babies that's what I would like to have a go at incubating at some stage :D .
I did take a look at the younger ones that stopped developing but left the other guys in there. The ones that hatched fluffed up nicely and didn't have any problems with to much moisture although one guy that pipped on the wrong end nicked a blood vessel which when dried seemed to cause him to get shrink wrapped but with my help it did make it out.

This is my first try at turkeys. The gal I got my duck eggs from had turkeys and I told her my sister in law wanted some. She said she wasn't sure they were fertile yet, so she gave me 4 free. 3 turned out to be fertile, but I lost 2 along the way. My sister in law will take the one, if it makes it, and if I can give it up lol.
I'm hoping I don't have to help any of these, I didn't think I could do it, but now I think I could if necessary. Glad it worked out for you! Will keep you posted.

So, it looks like my incubator humidity is running, on average, 20% higher than what the machine says. I have absolutely no water in there and am averaging 40% humidity on the hygrometer. Temperature-wise I have one thermometer reading 99 and the other reading 100. I'll be candling on day 7, which will be March 19th.
I too have a real difference in my humidity between my hygrometers (2) and the 'digital readout on the bator! The bator reads 9 and the internal hygrometers I have say 55 & 40!?

I am not adding any water. Call it a dry hatch, but really it's so humid here in Oregon. Last time I had so many drown that I decided to go this route. Let us know how your candeling goes.

This is my first try at turkeys. The gal I got my duck eggs from had turkeys and I told her my sister in law wanted some. She said she wasn't sure they were fertile yet, so she gave me 4 free. 3 turned out to be fertile, but I lost 2 along the way. My sister in law will take the one, if it makes it, and if I can give it up lol.
I'm hoping I don't have to help any of these, I didn't think I could do it, but now I think I could if necessary. Glad it worked out for you! Will keep you posted.
It's not so bad helping the chicks. You just need to really WAIT. it can take 24 hours plus for a chick to make progress. It's best to wait like 36 hours from day 21 I think. I really feel I made it bad on the two chicks after AND I was warned about this exact thing by a member
he.gif
It really is crazy critical not opening the bator!
I want to try turkeys. Please let us know what happens and take pictures please.

Testing a hygrometer is easy. Take a little cup of some kind, even cap from a coke bottle. Fill it with salt. Add just enough water to make it slushy. Wet, but not enough to dissolve the salt or have any floating water. Put the hygrometer and salt slurry into a Ziploc bag at room temp and wait about 6-8 hours. Should read 75% on the hygrometer. Its scientific, that's just the humidity of salt slurry, so it should be accurate, once the bag acclimates.
Do NOT let the hygrometer touch the salt! If your hygrometer is adjustable, you can make it match. If not, just note how high or low it is and you're done!

I created a map for my bator. I numbered all the eggs tonight when I candled them. I thought this might help me to note if there was any delayed development or failure to finish due to heating problems, eg heat leakage around the edges or too high heat towards the middle. The eggs will remain in there positions until Lockdown.

I marked the eggs on the top for easy reference, but on the bottom as well in case I needed to see the numbers on hatched eggs.

I wanted to add the map I made, but this will not allow me to upload the PDF of the OneNote file I made.
he.gif

42 eggs were put in
16 are questionable. They look like clears. I will recandle in 4 days. It is still early, but....

Maybe I can take a screenshot and add....

I just got myself a Janoel48-8. I have been running it empty for a week now. After a few tweeks, I think I have it running smooth

I too have a real difference in my humidity between my hygrometers (2) and the 'digital readout on the bator! The bator reads 9 and the internal hygrometers I have say 55 & 40!?
I had 4 calibrated digital's in my J48-8. My machine said 20% humidity but was running at 45%.

What I did was, I took some weather stripping.(small foam 1/4" 1 side sticky) and ran a strip under the lid all the way around the edge. These incubators should come with some sort of gasket but don't. Anyways, that helped keep the temp/humidity more steady and accurate. I was only like .2 off with temp. Some reason I still could not get the humidity to what my hygro's were saying.

Also, I detached the machines probe and thermometer from the underside grate to let it hang closer to the eggs and away from the fan. that helped a bit too

I will be running some Naragansett eggs in it when I get back in may. Hoping it works like it should.

Good luck with your eggs!!!!

Well as you know duck eggs take 28 days and chicken 21. Well I had my chicken eggs below the incubator as the incubator is about a foot off the ground. Well I washed my hand before turning the duck eggs and well the lid of the inubcator and crushed two of my RIR eggs
1f62d.png
. Well the ebayer is extremely kind and I emailed her and i just have to pay for shipping. Well long story short she has other breeds two, so instead of Getting two more RIR I got 2 Amercauna's and I added 2 black Austropulars to my order so in all I'll be incubating two rouens, two RIR, two Amerecuana, and two black Austropulars. Can you tell I'm OCD
1f602.png

What I did was, I took some weather stripping.(small foam 1/4" 1 side sticky) and ran a strip under the lid all the way around the edge. These incubators should come with some sort of gasket but don't. Anyways, that helped keep the temp/humidity more steady and accurate. I was only like .2 off with temp. Some reason I still could not get the humidity to what my hygro's were saying.

Also, I detached the machines probe and thermometer from the underside grate to let it hang closer to the eggs and away from the fan. that helped a bit too

I will be running some Naragansett eggs in it when I get back in may. Hoping it works like it should.

Good luck with your eggs!!!!
Great idea. I agree it needs a gasket.

Love the idea of pulling the probe down to egg level.

I have mine set at 37.5 this time. How about you?

I like the idea of detaching the probes. I have wondered if where they are situated adversely affect their reading. I think I'll do that after this batch. So thanks!
I've also considered some type of gasket, because my lid doesn't sit flush. I have a nickel under one corner to make it the lid connect better. But I think it needs more ventilation holes before I make a gasket. After this batch, I plan to drill more holes in the base, that I can plug or tape off, or open when necessary. Mine has one hole on one corner to be able to squirt water in, and the 4 drain holes on the bottom, and 2 waffled holes on top.

Back
Top Bottom