Janoel

Ok, thought I'd try and get a picture of this clip I am talking about - as it is not the wiring plug but rather part of the bodywork if you like. See attached - I am talking about the clip directly behind the motor, it should be locked into the groove but in our case it worked its way out of the top. Also, just cause I'm taking photos, a pic of OHs quick fix to stop the arms from bending under heavy eggs. (Hacksaw blades! Perfect!) Hope this helps. And from what I know, I don't think you would end up with deformed chicks, but if the yolks get stuck to the egg shells it makes it hard for them to turn around ready to hatch, so they fail to pip.
Thank dorpersheep, I checked mine and it seems like the arm in in the groove where it should be. I have hit the reset button and the motor will kick in and move the egg trays to the left, then to the right immediately. From there it wont move again. It stays leaned to the right.

We are technically 12 hours short of starting day 21 - AND WE HAVE PIPPING!!!!!! :celebrate

2 of the Wyandotte eggs are pipped and I can hear babies talking to me (of course the super-eagerly awaited Araucanas are going to make me WAIT aren't they?)

So excited for you, keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. Don't forget to share those pictures too :)

Hey Guys thank you for all of these great answers & i am going to get it does the turner & fan come with the Incubator or will they cost extra

They all come together. Try and get the newer model with the solid plastic bottom (non-see through) - not being able to see in is a pain I admit but it is much better quality.

So excited for you, keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. Don't forget to share those pictures too
smile.png

Hey ChickenLady, hope you have got your incubator sorted out now. One of mine does what you describe - turns left, then back to the right. The other one turns left, then right, then settles in a slightly different position each time. The one that settles almost in the same spot each time produced happy healthy chicks last hatch, no problems.

Last week we ended up with 8 Araucanas and 5 Wyandottes, but one of the Wyandottes "Sleepy Oyster" so named by the kids died on day 2 post hatch.
There are some pictures of them straight after hatching in this thread, check out post #254!

I am now eagerly counting down to setting our next batch for hatching on Saturday, then another lot on the following Thursday - going to be busy around here! Plus collecting more Araucana eggs tomorrow to go straight in. Hopefully the weather calms down a bit, Friday we had to bring all our babies out of the brooders which are in the shed into the house due to the heat - got to 56C here in the afternoon. Plus the hatchlings were still inside too, so with 3 dogs, 2 kids, 2 adults and about 60 fluffies in their tubs this tiny house was rather crowded!!
At least the bushfires stayed a reasonable distance away from us this time.

Dorper, that's exciting! I have more upcoming hatches as well. My New Year's chickies are peeping away in the brooder room right now. I have nine assorted bantams hatching as we speak... Two are already out, hatched early, Day 19!

Your post makes me miss the sunshine. It gets dark so early here, around 4:30... and so so so cold! It can get pretty dark and dreary where I am, but it makes you appreciate it when the sun does come out and warms everything up. I still have six Olive Egger pullets of 3 months in the garage until we can finish their coop...which has been tough in the freezing cold and limited daylight. But I'm going to get it done!
cool.png

The Ayam Cemanis didn't go so well. I'm still trying to figure it out. They eggs they were sitting in the incubator with hatched without a problem. And what's even crazier, is upon further inspection, I saw that the chicks had white chests, white wing tips, and mixed pink legs/feet. They almost looked like Black Copper Maran chicks but with a little more white and very pale legs.

So...
roll.png
That was weird.

I am determined to get my hands on some Araucana eggs now.
love.gif
They are so lovely.

Last edited:
Hello all,
I am going to be incubating some BCM eggs in a week to 10 days from now. My incubator in the Janoel 48. I've been following this thread and learning a lot. I also have the Book Hatching and Brooding your own chicks. By Gail Damerow. Where as I'm not new to raising chicks, I am new to incubating my own eggs. My question is in regards to using a Manuel hygrometer along with the digital one on the unit. I have ordered a small thermometer for another reading besides the digital temp. But, how important is it for humidity reading with this unit? I've done a test run and all seems to work fine. Thanks for any input I receive :)

Just my opinion? I have two extra monitors in each incubator now... and humidity in one of my Janoel48 is off from the monitors by about 20 percent... so I would certainly encourage you to get a couple extra to figure out your own incubator. I've learned through a couple failed attempts already that it's always a great idea to double, or triple, check things.
tongue.png

I thought you would enjoy some pics of my chicks, they're all ready 2 weeks 2 days old and I can't believe it!

Now its time to name them, any suggestions? I rather like old lady name what do you think?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom