Janoel

Sorry to hear the Ameracaunas didn't make it Marie, that's a total bummer, especially when the bantams did. Although aren't bantams supposed to hatch earlier than bigger breeds? Sure the others have all quit?

So you are in lockdown now on those crazy black birds?! Ours went in last night (almost 24 hours ago now) so fingers are crossed for some Friday night or Saturday hatching action.
Although I am really nervous about them, these are the first eggs I've paid for so the worry factor is much higher!

How expensive are shipped eggs over there? I'm just interested to compare to over here, we basically pay about $30-$150A (about $25-$145US) per dozen depending on breed, and then roughly another $20US per dozen postage - is that about the same as the US? Or the UK Jack?

I typically spend anywhere from $18.00 - $40.00 on a dozen eggs (typically closer to $30.00). It depends on the breed. According to my conversion chart, that would be about $22.00A - $49.00A. It can certainly be higher that that. The Cemani eggs, for example, were 4 for $75.00USD... or $92.00A.

Let me take a look at my most recent purchase history for you:

12/19/2014 4 Ayam Cemani (boyfriend bought these)...............$73.00US + $15.00US shipping = $88.00US ... OR $108.45A ... OR 56.62GBP

12/12/2014 24-Egg Assortment: Easter Eggers and Laced Wyandotte......$40.00US + free shipping = $40.00US ... OR $49.30A ... OR 25.74GBP

12/09/2014 12 Assorted Pure Bred Bantam Assortment..........................$5.15US + 15.00US shipping = $20.15US ... OR $24.83A ... OR 12.96GBP

12/02/2014 12 Welsummer....................................................................$8.00US + $12.00US shipping = $20.00US ... OR $24.65A ... OR 12.87GBP

Eventually, I want to stop buying eggs. I just want to hatch and sell my own eggs to help supplement feed and coop costs. But my EEs still need to mature, so until then, I'm going to have fun hatching random breeds. =P

Ayam Cemanis are in lockdown as of this morning. I waited until early this morning to empty and clean my Janoel 12 and get it set up. Unfortunately, no more chicks are coming my way. The last to hatch is another Silver-Laced Cochin. It has now completely dried off but seems weak. I also detect a slight clicking noise while it is breathing, so I might have to pick up some supplements on my way home from work today. I've been rotating hourly drops of honey-water and Sav-A-Chick so... we'll see how it's doing when I get back today.

I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for our Cemanis!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Since you've brought up the incubator again, how are you finding it? I found that it only effectively auto-turns up to 6 medium or larger eggs, but can take up to 15 or so for manual turning. I've successfully hatched chickens and ducks in it, and currently have quail eggs in it. It was very misconfigured when I got it second hand, but it wasn't too difficult to make sure that the temperature display matched reality.

Since you've brought up the incubator again, how are you finding it? I found that it only effectively auto-turns up to 6 medium or larger eggs, but can take up to 15 or so for manual turning. I've successfully hatched chickens and ducks in it, and currently have quail eggs in it. It was very misconfigured when I got it second hand, but it wasn't too difficult to make sure that the temperature display matched reality.

The auto-turning tray only fit nine Black Copper Maran eggs for me the first time, rather than a full dozen. They were larger eggs, but that was the only thing I was surprised about. Since my Janoel 48 has auto-turning, I have started incubating in that one and setting my Janoel 12 aside as a dedicated hatcher. I think that was actually a recommendation from Dorpersheep if I remember correctly (having a dedicated hatcher).

I LOVE using it as a hatcher (lockdown only). I don't have to worry about the turning tray at all. And I can fit more eggs inside for lockdown than I could for incubation purposes anyway. But my favorite thing about it is that temperature and humidity, for whatever reason, have been easy to calibrate and have held steady. I haven't noticed any odd spikes or drops. I also find it easier to clean, being smaller in size.

The Janoel 48 incubators have worked well for me too, but they have also taken extra time to calibrate...and I seem to have to check on them more frequently. I had some bad luck recently with some staggered hatches that had been incubating in one of my Janoel 48 incubators that had been running much cooler than what additional monitors displayed. Overall, I am pleased...and honestly should have checked them against more than one monitor each (more like three or four) before realizing they were running cooler. I have each one set at 38.3 celcius and reading 37.5 celcius at egg-level.

We are technically 12 hours short of starting day 21 - AND WE HAVE PIPPING!!!!!!
celebrate.gif

2 of the Wyandotte eggs are pipped and I can hear babies talking to me (of course the super-eagerly awaited Araucanas are going to make me WAIT aren't they?)

update - now 4 Wyandottes pipped, 1 Araucana pipped, and 1 Araucana HATCHED! Totally amazing, the little fella pipped at 10am and was fully hatched at 10.20am - sure was in a hurry!

Hi everyone, just wanted to give a update on my hatch. I had 24/72 go into lockdown. Out of those, 17 hatched, 1 died in the shell on day 20 and 3 of the 17 died within 24 hours. I have 6 eggs still in the incubator that I will be doing a float test on tomorrow. I currently have 14 very cute fluffy butts. Congratulations to everyone that has had a success hatch and my condolences to those of you who havent.

Back
Top Bottom