Japanese Bantam Thread!

Mine are settling in nicely. There was some good wind a week after I got them that damaged the quarantine coop, so they got moved into general population early. They seem happy, there wasn't really any bickering or fighting with the existing birds at all. My other roo out there is a d'uccle who hasn't quite had puberty kick in so that helped I think, and the large fowl chickens and waterfowl ignore the chickens for the most part. They were/are coming out of molt, so will his tail get longer? Would they be ok for showing, or producing show stock? I am thinking i want to take the rooster and hen in the back on the first picture, maybe the same hen as in the other pic but I'm not for sure lol. Can you see any reasons from the pics that those 2 would be disqualified or not do good? And is his comb tips being dark like that ok? They are like that quite a bit, but not all the time.
I don't know what weather you are having, but it looks like he had or has a touch of fostbite, if it is, that will be why his points are curving over. The two you are thinking of would be the best IMO. The two hens in the front have to much White IMO, you could breed them to a black and the offspring bred together should give you darker mottleds, this might not work so great depending on what genes are hidden. Nice Birds and a great start.

I don't know what weather you are having, but it looks like he had or has a touch of fostbite, if it is, that will be why his points are curving over. The two you are thinking of would be the best IMO. The two hens in the front have to much White IMO, you could breed them to a black and the offspring bred together should give you darker mottleds, this might not work so great depending on what genes are hidden. Nice Birds and a great start.
Thank you! He is coming out of molt, and when I got him his comb was pale and really floppy. It's been standing up straighter each week, now just the back tips a little at the ends. It hasn't got very cold here yet.

This is him a week or two after I got him, it had started getting redder then but was still really floppy. I don't know if it was from the stress of moving while molting that maybe made it flop over like that.
hu.gif

I didn't realize laying an egg was such a group event, lol.

BAHAHAHAHAHA that is too funny. Such purdy chickens. What size eggs are you getting from your ladies? Like compared to a store bought large egg, or some type of house hold item. Still waiting on my 28wk olds to do something other than just taking joy rides.....on each other

BAHAHAHAHAHA that is too funny. Such purdy chickens. What size eggs are you getting from your ladies? Like compared to a store bought large egg, or some type of house hold item. Still waiting on my 28wk olds to do something other than just taking joy rides.....on each other
They are pretty bigger than I thought they'd be, but mine are hens so pullet eggs might not be as big.
This is them in a regular large egg carton, if that helps.

O yay I should have no trouble finding those when it comes time - I have all brown layer & two that lay a creamy pinkish brown egg...then blues & greens when the EEs start

Thanks so much! The picture really helps out w/ the size/color

Waiting for the first egg from each hen gets old but @ the same time it never gets old!
barnie.gif
celebrate.gif
getting a hold of that 1st egg makes all the waiting worth it :)

Back
Top Bottom