Japanese Bantam Thread!

Anyone know where to get blue japanese bantams...ii have a breeding pair and would like more great genetics in my flock??
welcome-byc.gif
Whereabouts are you located?

Thanks for your thought, I'm still gonna wait it out in hopes. They all had the classic black dot on the head and came out of grey parents and like I said they started out with a lot more black as chicks. Guess we'll see!
Grey parents won't give you mottled chicks. At that size a mottled chick is fairly well colored up.

So I'm very new to Japanese Bantams and my question above about the chick being Mottled or not was based on the understanding that Mottled chicks are born with Pale yellow bodies that have a white spot on their head. I read on another thread that they could come in penguin or yellow with the spot on head. I understood that Mottled allele was a recessive trait and that you either had a carrier under a dominent, Double dominent, or double recessive; but further e locus research seems to point to Mottled not being a part of the E Locus.

Breeding my original greys to each other I thought would result in only greys and was surprised to find that I had a number of pale chicks at roughly 25% of the hatch. Punnett squares put this as all parents being a split of some type of E Locus which is why I had assumed it would only be a recessive allele trait like mottled that would come out, but is it actually a strange allele combination of E^R/E^Wh with a Silver allele and something like a Columbian? I don't really know much about Chicken alleles in any breed so I'm just sort of making a stab at it. I can't seem to find a website other than kippenjungle.nl for genetics in color, but I don't feel like the Columbian is what makes a Black Tailed White or Black Tailed Buff into their color and the Birchen/wheaten allele was the only combination with the Columbian I could find to give me the Black Tailed look on the website.

So far all my light colored chicks have proven to be female, but with such low numbers I haven't decided to make that a factor yet.

My latest hatch this December gave me only 2 lights out of 9 hatches (originally 13-2non fertile duds-2 dead in shell (1 of which I cracked to see a dark) which puts my known ration of Light:Dark:Unknown:Unfertile at 2:8:1:2 which is not the ratio I had in that last hatches. In fact the first hatch out of same hen all died from fire ants and all were Light:Dark:Unknown:Unfertile at 0:6:2:2; so, I was surprised to see the lights in this hatch.

Original hatch from another hen that liked to wander and eventually got eaten was a nest of 17 eggs. 2non fertile, 3 Dead in Shell, 6 survived predators. Colors were Light:Dark:Unknown:Unfertile 4:10:1:2

Further complicating the issue is that I have 3 Rooster that all get along well and since I Originally started with a flock of 9 of which only 5 turned out to be hens which later got decimated by large packs of dogs in my neighborhood. The 3 Roosters were getting along so I kept them to protect the 2 remaining hens before my Wandering hen left her nest and went too far with her partner rooster leaving me down to 2 rooster 1 hen, but not before that hen had started on her new clutch having lost all her chicks to fire ants. So I have 3 Roosters that I know got her before the eggs laid which effects all %. As the flock is small it helps me worry less about extreme inbreeding with all the wild genes I still haven't narrowed down yet and I will be ordering new chickens in Spring for color variety and genetics before I start selecting my line.

Total ratio Light:Dark:Unknown:Unfertile would be 6:24:4:6 which doesn't really work for the punnett square below.

Hen: E^R E^Wh Co Co S~​
Rooster:
E^R E^Wh Co Co SS
E^R Co S E^Wh Co ~
E^R Co SS E^R E^R Co Co SS E^R E^Wh Co Co S~
E^Wh Co S E^R E^Wh Co Co SS E^Wh E^Wh Co Co S~​

Any thoughts or corrections to my process would be appreciated!

Picture of the 11 week old chicks from deceased hen​

The 2 remaining Rooster

The Remaining Hen​

Last edited:
Any thoughts or corrections to my process would be appreciated!
First of all, I'm no expert. Secondly, I don't pretend to understand all of the genetics. However, a few things I have learned in my study of what's going on. Without lots of hatches, your numbers can be far off from your punnet square, it takes lots of numbers to get the percentages right. I have no source to quote, but "I was told" columbian was involved in the BTW coloration. Depending on your source of birds, there are a lot out there that have been mixed up colorwise then sold as pure just because the phenotype was right. I got a beautiful grey rooster out of a black pair, then realized the hen had a few stray light feathers under her neck. I know some folks thaat know a lot more genetics than me, maybe I can get some input.

Back
Top Bottom