Japanese Bantam Thread!

Hello all,

So I have just read through almost this entire thread and wow. That's alot of information. I am new to the Japanese Bantam world, and haven't technically started yet. I have two chicks I am getting on the 30th of this month that will be day olds, the only bad thing from what I am gathering is that they are from a hatchery so they most likely won't be show quality. From what I am understanding though it seems that the most common issue that arises from hatchery chicks is that their legs are too long, so I am crossing my fingers that isn't so but with my luck it probably will be. They will also be my first bantams! All so new and exciting. When I get them I will take pictures and post them up here so you can all tell me what you think. I promise I won't get uppity like some have in the past as for the most part my flock is simply for fun and pets, though I would really like to get into the world of showing, my only issue with that is we aren't allowed to have roos here in city. However if I wind up with a male out of the two and its as quiet as many of you have said then I might just keep him. If I recall correctly they are supposed to be black tailed buff JBs. I am super excited. Do any of you have tips or recommendations for making it easier for them to live with larger birds? The rest of my flock are all full sized birds primarily heritage breeds except my polish who is tiny compared to everyone else. Any help would be appreciated! Oh and just a little fun fact, I have Barnevelders in the bator now and just under two weeks left!! So excited!
wee.gif

Cam

Wolftracks,
I am not very good at online stuff, I don't ever remember seeing breeder listings on the JBBA site.
I have the members list here on my desk.
PM me if you would like me to look for someone close to you.

I will also be at the Delmarva show end of month, I can ask around for you, too

Roberta

i know its exciting right!!!! u will definetlyhave to show us spme pics and i may have to have a seperate pen for them but once in a while lf and bantams get along
It is sooo exciting! I am hoping though that I can keep them together. I put out some chicks we got last fall when they were just four weeks and they got along well with my bigger girls who basically just ignored them, though now that they are bigger and one of them is a male who I havent rehomed yet they pick on him all the time. But I am hoping they can get along well, but if not we are getting a new coop so I will have two, one big and one small that I can always keep them in if need be.

So ok. Here's a question for you all. If I get my two banties from the hatchery and they have undesirable traits, can those traits be theoretically bred out in later hatches?

It depends of the traits. The leg length issue is the main problem. If your pair both have long legs then all their chicks will also have long legs and you can not breed short legged ones because long leg X long leg always equals long leg chicks.

You would need either both to have short legs, or one.

The other traits could be bred out, but that will take years and a lot of work on your part. Its just not worth the bother for me.

The best situation is to get a pair of good show quality birds from a breeder if you are wanting this kind of chicken.

OR if you are not going to show you birds and you just like the look of them, you could get hatchery stock and add a pair of show quality ones. Then let them breed with the hatchery ones and keep selecting the chicks with the traits you like.

Back
Top Bottom