Japanese Bantam Thread!

[COLOR=4B0082]LOL that lasted for all of 1/2 a day!! I put them there because I was scared that they might abandon the eggs :/ (first time broody around here) They go out into the pen area & eat n drink then back into the coop. I was worrying because I have 4 hens & 3 roos for my JBs & with 2 of the ladies out of the pic for sitting I didn't know how the boys would react when they saw them outside the coop. Don't want anything to break them from their broodiness![/COLOR]
[COLOR=4B0082]wootwoot! There is still hope![/COLOR]
[COLOR=4B0082]No worries. Thank you for the info. I ended up sneaking a few more & left 10 with her. Now I just resort them every evening because they steal each others eggs & switch spots lol Even with either of them puffing up - the 16 eggs weren't all covered enough & already starting to develop. I'm almost surprised that no one else has gone broody over here-

We ended up loosing most of the flock this past Sat. A VERY LARGE red fox attacked a between 7-740ish in the morning(must have been scoping the area for at least a few days, as it knew to wait till daylight when the majority of my chickens jump/flap over their fencing to go graze) lost all but 2 standard sized hens & 2 roosters & lost 1 of my 4 JB roos. Had 20 3mth old easter egger chickens & now only 3 (& I think 2 are cockerels) lost 2 silkies & just have one lone lady, who now hangs with the 3mth old ones[/COLOR]

[COLOR=4B0082]Looking forward to reading the updates[/COLOR]

That's terrible sorry for your loss. I know what its like. I lost 10 standard hens and 4 bantams earlier in the year. They just started going missing in the middle of the day and i finally saw the coyote that was the culprit! You are right predators are smarter than we think and scope out the best way to get the chickens.

Hello! I have a Japanese Black Tailed Buff. She is 6 weeks old. I got her when she was 4 weeks and the breeder said she had not been handled much. I was worried because I have small children and wanted a really friendly bird that would be okay with being handled. I am SO glad I did. She is an absolute LOVE! She does not spook easy and and actually LIKES being handled. In fact, if you sit down next to her, she will be the first to jump in your lap. She will at times even get very vocal and persistent until you do pick her up! In short, shes happiest with a person! Are they all like this?! If so, I will be getting more! Any addition info on this breed would be appreciated!

Hello! I have a Japanese Black Tailed Buff. She is 6 weeks old. I got her when she was 4 weeks and the breeder said she had not been handled much. I was worried because I have small children and wanted a really friendly bird that would be okay with being handled. I am SO glad I did. She is an absolute LOVE! She does not spook easy and and actually LIKES being handled. In fact, if you sit down next to her, she will be the first to jump in your lap. She will at times even get very vocal and persistent until you do pick her up! In short, shes happiest with a person! Are they all like this?! If so, I will be getting more! Any addition info on this breed would be appreciated!
I wish mine were like that. I have 3 adults three 7/8week olds and two 3 week olds. All are sweet as can be but all are spooked very easy and skittish they dont like to be picked up much. We do love and snuggle them often but its not their favorite pass time lol.

Hello all,,,,, wondering if anyone in the Pennsylvania area has BLACK JAPANESE available ????

Hoping for a pair, but, would consider some shipped eggs or chicks if I have to go that route.

Please PM me if you have anything that I may be interested in.

Thanks in advance, Ray

I wish mine were like that. I have 3 adults three 7/8week olds and two 3 week olds. All are sweet as can be but all are spooked very easy and skittish they dont like to be picked up much. We do love and snuggle them often but its not their favorite pass time lol.
I find when you have a lone chick/chicken they tend to be friendly w/ people as they enjoy companionship. As soon as there is more than one they tend to look towards their feathered friends for company most of the time anyways

My adult JBs are still standoffish & will run away, but when I do get them & pick them up, they re very gentle & calm. I am hoping that since I have to handle 2 of my ladies so much(brooding currently & check on the eggs daily to make sure they aren't stealing each others of w.e was laid that day by the others) Quite a few of my standards were skiddish & once they started laying, became much more friendly & still have a RIR lady(Big Red) who is SUPER friendly & will walk around with you & try & come inside the house!

Looking for a little information from the Japanese bantam people here. I bought a batch of assorted bantam chicks from Tractor Supply, so definitely hatchery chicks, but hopefully advice on differentiating breeds is still applicable. What are the defining features of a Japanese chick and how early do they show up? A few of mine are carrying their little tail feathers pretty high and generally have a more upright carriage (little puffed out chests. lol.) than 2 that I'm fairly certain are Old English, which is what is making me think some of them may be Japanese.

Newest babies... Only 5 for this hen but I like the color variations. I have 2 more broodies to go and i think i am going to hang up my hatching boots for this season. These little guys are about to wear me out

Back
Top Bottom