Japanese Bantam Thread!

Apparently my point was too subtle for you. Of course people have different preferences. if this was not the case there would only be one type of anything. My point was that for a breed to be a breed it must posess certain characteristics. Among these characteristics there is often one that truely seperates the breed from others, such as the examples I cited.
My point was, how can one profess a fondness for a particular breed while at the same time rejecting that one clearly identifying characteristic?
As to Japanese Bantams your contention that the description of their leg length has changed over time doesn't prove out. I have copies of nearly every APA Standard back to my earliest, 1875. In all of them which include the Japanese Bantam the description of the leg length is the same: "very short". These birds were bred in Japan long before they were listed in the APA Standard & every early illustration I've ever seen has shown birds with very short legs.
As to short-legged Japanese Banatms "suffering" from getting dirty I solve that problem by keeping their accomodations clean as I do with all my birds. I haven't noticed any occurance of deformed toes in my Japanese Bantams nor have I noticed any higher than usual occurance of leg mites
I would suggest that when one says they like Japanese Bantams but the birds they prefer would be disqualified if shown as Japanese Bantams really don't like Japanese bantams, they like small single combed chickens with fairly short legs.

I mean I want show ones but my mom wanted her some quick an easy so we just ordered some.

Hey,

Here is a video of a blue splash rooster, pre and post crow reduction surgery. I have 2 currently available and they both are very quiet. If anybody is interested or has questions, just PM me. Also, please visit my thread on Decrowing Roosters. Thanks heaps.
Dr. James

Last edited:
Apparently my point was too subtle for you. Of course people have different preferences. if this was not the case there would only be one type of anything. My point was that for a breed to be a breed it must posess certain characteristics. Among these characteristics there is often one that truely seperates the breed from others, such as the examples I cited.
My point was, how can one profess a fondness for a particular breed while at the same time rejecting that one clearly identifying characteristic?
As I said, I like the short legs, just not the extra short legs. See my photo......they don't have long legs.
As to Japanese Bantams your contention that the description of their leg length has changed over time doesn't prove out. I have copies of nearly every APA Standard back to my earliest, 1875. In all of them which include the Japanese Bantam the description of the leg length is the same: "very short". These birds were bred in Japan long before they were listed in the APA Standard & every early illustration I've ever seen has shown birds with very short legs.
'very short legs' is not a measurement. How many inches exactly? We are breeding for shorter and short legs. Illustrations are not photos and are not accurate. They show the desired and often fictional perfect bird. Look at any old painting of fancy pigeons or even cows and pigs. Its clear that no animal ever looked like that. the ownere commissioned the pairnter to make the animal look the best......people believe the painting to be true, but thankfully now we have photos.

As to short-legged Japanese Banatms "suffering" from getting dirty I solve that problem by keeping their accomodations clean as I do with all my birds. I haven't noticed any occurance of deformed toes in my Japanese Bantams nor have I noticed any higher than usual occurance of leg mites
So I don't think you free range you birds? If you do and there is some rain, and the birds love paddling about and digging in damp earth......they will get very wet and muddy under their bodies. Only cosmetic. I did say that I was talking about people wanting to keep them as a 'back yard flock', not in cages with sawdust, or wire bottoms. That way they will stay clean. They will suffer from leg mists if they have very short legs as the problem will not be easy to spot, as we can't see the legs.
I would suggest that when one says they like Japanese Bantams but the birds they prefer would be disqualified if shown as Japanese Bantams really don't like Japanese bantams, they like small single combed chickens with fairly short legs.
From my photos, you don't think my birds are Japanese Bantams right? Can you show any other breed with short legs and single combs that look like that?

If I breed a colour that is not recognises as a Japanese Bantam standard colour, but it has the correct leg length, shape and size, then are you saying its not a Japanese Bantam?

This breed is my fav. breed. I love everything about them, but I don't want to have xxx short legged birds in my flock. They are still JAPANESE BANTAMS. Even people with long legged Japanese Bantams still have Japanese Bantams, but they are not show quality. Its the SAME BREED. They come from the SAME PARENTS, and hatched from the SAME EGGS.

This might be the silliest question, but why do the Japanese Bantams have such short legs? Why were they bred to have shorter legs than your so called average chicken?

This might be the silliest question, but why do the Japanese Bantams have such short legs? Why were they bred to have shorter legs than your so called average chicken?

Because they are from Japan and have a little Japanese kind of style to them I guess. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Because they are from Japan and have a little Japanese kind of style to them I guess. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
Yes, I think so.
The short legs are definitely different and adds a little something to the look of the bird, I think. I think they're beautiful birds and would love to have a pair or a trio some day!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom