Japanese Bantam Thread!

FINALLY got my chicks today!!! Three little black Japanese Bantams that are healthy and lively! They sure were thirsty when I showed them the water!

Are their legs supposed to be that long when they are chicks? Will they grow into them? I got three out of the five that came, and I tried to get the ones with the shortest legs, but look at them!!! Especially the third chick, Yoru. With the second chick, Kurai, will the white toes turn black as they age?

In'ei (Meaning Shadow in Japanese) The smallest, blackest, and cutest of the trio!

Kurai (Meaning Dark in Japanese) Middle toes are white.

Yoru (Meaning Night in Japanese) Look at those legs!!!!!!

No, the legs shouldn't be that long. As the birds grow the legs will grow along with the rest of the bird so the ratio of leg to body will stay about the same.
The legs of an adult Japanese Bantam should be about 3/4 of an inch in length. As you may be aware, some chicks will be longer legged. That's just part of how the genes work in this breed, but those long legged chicks will not be suitable for show or breeding. As I take chicks out of the incubator I pull the heads off the long legged ones as there's no reason for me to raise them. Hatcheries don't feel this way-they want to sell every chick they hatch so they don't cull breeders & they don't cull chicks. The result is that hatcheries rarely produce chicks that are show worthy.
I've never seen legs on a Japanese Bantam like those on your third chick [Yoru]. Looks more like a Modern Game.

No, the legs shouldn't be that long. As the birds grow the legs will grow along with the rest of the bird so the ratio of leg to body will stay about the same.
The legs of an adult Japanese Bantam should be about 3/4 of an inch in length. As you may be aware, some chicks will be longer legged. That's just part of how the genes work in this breed, but those long legged chicks will not be suitable for show or breeding. As I take chicks out of the incubator I pull the heads off the long legged ones as there's no reason for me to raise them. Hatcheries don't feel this way-they want to sell every chick they hatch so they don't cull breeders & they don't cull chicks. The result is that hatcheries rarely produce chicks that are show worthy.
I've never seen legs on a Japanese Bantam like those on your third chick [Yoru]. Looks more like a Modern Game.

That's what I was thinking, too! I looked them up earlier today, but thought that they didn't quite look like the Moderns. I'll keep researching.

So my dad had taken some beautiful pictures of Cadbury and his new hens the other day. the hens I have realized are beginning to have white come into their tails, but almost being 12 months im not going to worry too much of it until their first molt.....although I am concerned.

im planning on starting a breeding program with carbury and his hens nessa and atna this summer and selling the eggs. if you would be interested once I get these hens laying and mated with Cadbury let me know!
just thought I would share!

That's what I was thinking, too! I looked them up earlier today, but thought that they didn't quite look like the Moderns. I'll keep researching.

I found this picture on the McMurray website on the Black Japanese page, and they look fairly similar to mine. I guess they weren't kidding when they said "you may experience some chicks with medium to long legs" in the description!

Last edited:
I found this picture on the McMurray website on the Black Japanese page, and they look fairly similar to mine. I guess they weren't kidding when they said "you may experience some chicks with medium to long legs" in the description!

yep. your right. sometimes there is a weird little gene that brings out those legs. I think japs with long legs look sort of cool because of the awkwardly short legs of the Japanese we are all so used to.

yep. your right. sometimes there is a weird little gene that brings out those legs. I think japs with long legs look sort of cool because of the awkwardly short legs of the Japanese we are all so used to.

Yup, before I chose this breed, I did a bunch of research on the genetics having to do with the leg lengths, and realized that, since they are hatchery stock, it was very unlikely that I would have gotten short legged Japanese.

Having long legs, it will help keep them off the ground and keep the wings and lower body clean!

For showing, I read that often in county shows judges aren't as strict about leg lengths, but this judge might be.

Yup, before I chose this breed, I did a bunch of research on the genetics having to do with the leg lengths, and realized that, since they are hatchery stock, it was very unlikely that I would have gotten short legged Japanese.

Having long legs, it will help keep them off the ground and keep the wings and lower body clean!

For showing, I read that often in county shows judges aren't as strict about leg lengths, but this judge might be.
laving long legs will keep them off the ground! #BONUS LOL
gig.gif

I now call Cadbury Mr. Trouble. he seems to get dirty in the cleanest places. I didn't know if you noticed the feathers he had sticking up at his neck but it sill has some tried blood on them from when he had a fight 2 WEEKS AGO. that bird just cant stay out of trouble. therefore I call him trouble. (I call his son Mr. Tomato head. he has a huge floppy comb that flops right over his eye.)

Back
Top Bottom