Japanese Bantam Thread!

Kurai passed away today after I got home. :( She was very limp, not moving except to gasp or lift her head up when I gave her sugar water. She then started having "seizures" - curling her head onto her back. My friend says that once that starts, they will die. She was right! I picked up the phone and called her to ask for advice to perk up the chicks, and just as she told me to mix honey with warm water to give to them, I noticed that Kurai was no longer moving, and was already stiff in my hand. I quickly mixed up some "miracle juice", that she said that the hatchery suggested it to bring them back from borderlining death, and gave some to the remaining two chicks.

The reason they were so weak as well was for two reasons I believe. One, there was not enough heat (I fixed that problem and now stays about 95 in there), and two, they hadn't figured out how to eat. I had tried EVERYTHING to get them to eat - including tapping the feed to encourage pecking (what normally works), then force-feeding them (more like trying to fit a couple crumbles in their beaks, but they spit them out). I left for about an hour and a half to a 4-H meeting (talked with my 4-H leader and friends about everything), and when I got back, they are now perky! In'ei has even started pecking at the food (YAY!!!), but Yoru mainly still wants to sleep. He is perky when not asleep, but I have noticed something strange that I've never experienced before: he's mute! He seems to be peeping, but instead he makes a raspy whisper. (???)

I will get a refund for the dead chick, and any that die before 9:00 tomorrow morning, when my 4-H leader will call the hatchery and report all the losses. Apparently several others from this order have died as well, so it wasn't all my fault that they were doing so bad. They said that McMurray has been having a hard time with the hatch this year, as the last order that came in January also lost about half the chicks. Anyone else have problems with them this year?

Grr, if it wasn't for school (coming home at 5 in the afternoon), I might have been able to catch Kurai in the early stages and saved her. :(

My lil Jap White Blacktail has been setting for 25 days. Candling the eggs, everything looked good, sort of. Instead of 66% of the eggs blackened, it was like 50%. So, today, I opened one of the 4 eggs, and discovered a complete chick that was dead. I'll give the others one more night, then take her off the nest, and remove all the eggs. I believe the culprit is the lethal Mutant CP Gene that kills 25% of the chicks prior to hatching. I've got two more pullets sitting. One with 2 eggs, and one with the last 5 eggs they laid before going broody.
Well; as soon as I discovered 3feathers' eggs were bad, I put 5 more jap eggs under her. Today; I heard her clucking from her nestbox, so, opening it there was one tenny wenny jap chick standing in front of her, and she wasn't too happy about that. I'll wait until tonight to move them to a safe coop, and hope she doesn't put up a fuss. Her 21 day brooding was up on Saturday, the 3/29th/14. She'd get off her nest about every 6 days for 15 to 30 minutes, so I knew if any chicks would make it they'd be a little late arriving.

Both of the remaining chicks were doing well last night before I went to sleep, especially In'ei. But when I woke up, In'ei was dead. Now I just have Yoru, who is doing well, but I don't know if he'll make it alone until next weekend when we are going to a show where I will be able to get some more chicks. I'm thinking about borrowing a couple of bantam Cochin frizzles that came in that order to keep him company.

Edit: Yoru is now acting sickly. He was given some honey water, but has been sleeping all morning. I'm not expecting him to live. :(

Last edited:
Okay; here is the LiL guy before I moved them where it could get some water and feed.

A Pet Tote, and a live trap for temp housing.

While I was moving 3feathers and lil bit, I found that Whitefeathers is hatching on the 19th day. 3 already out, and 3 to go.

Both of the remaining chicks were doing well last night before I went to sleep, especially In'ei. But when I woke up, In'ei was dead. Now I just have Yoru, who is doing well, but I don't know if he'll make it alone until next weekend when we are going to a show where I will be able to get some more chicks. I'm thinking about borrowing a couple of bantam Cochin frizzles that came in that order to keep him company.

Edit: Yoru is now acting sickly. He was given some honey water, but has been sleeping all morning. I'm not expecting him to live.
sad.png

Hey ClickerChick: Sorry to hear about your loss.

Edit: Yoru is now acting sickly. He was given some honey water, but has been sleeping all morning. I'm not expecting him to live.
sad.png
Woke up to find Yoru dead. :(

Next weekend I will be going to a show where I can get show quality chicks straight from show stock!

McMurray is going to be re-shipping the order after all! They will be coming with another order on Monday the 7th! There will be more chicks and taking a different shipping route, so they will be less likely to end up like the last ones!

do you think it was the shipping that made them die?
Yep, my 4-H leader said they probably got cold on the way, route A (I'll just say route A and route B). The reason she suspects this is because the last shipment of chicks that came in January came on route A and most of the order died off, like this one did. The replacements were shipped on route B and arrived healthy and happy! We guessed that on route A they got too cold and it started shutting down their systems by the time they got to us. She requested that these replacements also be shipped on route B.

Yep, my 4-H leader said they probably got cold on the way, route A (I'll just say route A and route B). The reason she suspects this is because the last shipment of chicks that came in January came on route A and most of the order died off, like this one did. The replacements were shipped on route B and arrived healthy and happy! We guessed that on route A they got too cold and it started shutting down their systems by the time they got to us. She requested that these replacements also be shipped on route B.

well.......than shouldn't all chicks be shipped on route b???? lol

Back
Top Bottom