Japanese Bantam Thread!

So 3/4 inch leg, wings touching ground, a very leveled stance, nice red comb and red earlobes, yellow shanks aand nice verticle tail carriage... is sort of the look... are eggs for this breed are white? Is it correct they come in different feather types (silky & frizzle)? If so on the silkies how would you tell a cross bred?

I decided to try and read Asian Sites on Chabos and Quail Tail Chickens: Here are some great photos and what I could make out about the breeds of Chabo they feature:

矮雞(白色種) Translation Dwarf chicken (white kind) (albino)

矮雞(猩猩種)(赤毛種) Translation Dwarf chicken (orangutan species) (red hair types) (heavy drinker species) (Redhead species)

矮雞(逆毛黑色種) Translation Dwarf chicken (against hair black seed) (Black cowlick species)

矮雞(逆毛白色種) Translation Dwarf chicken (against hair white kind) (cowlick albino)

矮雞(翁白色種) Translation Dwarf chicken (Weng white kind) (Okina albino)

矮雞(源平種) Translation Dwarf chicken (source level species) (Genpei species)

矮雞(真黑種)
黑毛黑冠黑皮的“烏力肉“矮雞!!!
Translation Dwarf chicken (true black)
Black black black hair crown of "Uli meat" dwarf chicken!
Note the Black hair translation + "Uli meat" seems to mean breed's name based on "crow meat" as best I could figure it out. Anyway I like 'em.
smile.png

矮雞(黑色種) Translation Dwarf chicken (black seed) (Black species)

More pictures:
frow.gif

矮雞(金鈴波種)(雄) Translation Dwarf chicken (Jinling wave types) (Kinrei wave species) (male)

矮雞(桂種) Dwarf chicken (Gui species) (KatsuraTane)

矮雞(絲毛白色種) Translation Dwarf chicken (Silky white kind) (Silky albino)

矮雞(碁石種) Translation Dwarf chicken (Acer Stone) (go stone species)

雞(銀鈴波種) Translation Chicken (silvery wave types) (Ginsuzu-ha species)

矮雞(達摩黑色種) Translation Dwarf chicken (Dharma black seed) (Black Itaruma species)

矮雞(達摩白色種) Translation Dwarf chicken (Dharma white kind) (Itaruma albino)

矮雞(大冠柱白色種) Translation Dwarf chicken (white crested column types) (Daikan pillar albino)

矮雞(大冠柱桂種) Translation Dwarf chicken (large crown pillar Katsura species) (Daikan Hashirakei species)

矮雞(赤笹種) Translation Dwarf chicken (red Sasa species) (red bamboo species)

矮雞(三色碁石種)(雄) Translation Dwarf chicken (tricolor Acer Stone) (three-color stones species) (male)

I loved reading the "species" names! Especially the "go stones" and "cow lick"! Priceless!
LOL that is one of the reasons I posted the names, some just translated super fun. I definetly see birds I have never seen before as JBs. There is even a standad sized breed in Japan that is also bred to have short legs like the JB.

Jitokko [Japanese Creeper, Natural Monument designated in 1943]
This breed has an intermediate body shape between the RJE and Cochin types and is characterized by short legs controlled by the Cp gene. Some birds have a beard, muff and crest. This breed is thought established in the late stages of the Edo Era (1603 – 1867).
The prefecture of origin: Kagoshima Prefecture, Miyazaki Prefecture Standard BW in adults: 3,000 g in male, 2,500 g in female Plumage color varieties: black-breasted red, black, white, buff columbian Comb: pea or single (with or without crest)
Earlobe color␣red Shank color␣yellow

Sort of cool looking...

I guess Creeper refers to the Cp lethal gene?

This is from an abstract of a breeding experiment in Japan:
Abstract: The Creeper (Cp) gene from the Jitokko was introduced into the inbred strains, WL-G and NG-A, and two strains Cp (WL-G) and Cp (NG-A) were established in the gradings by successive backcrosses.
In the Cp (NG-A) strain, heterozygous parents produced the expected homozygous Cp/Cp embryos, 83.2% of which was viable on the 10th day of incubation and in the Cp (WL-G) strain viable homozygous Cp/Cpembryos were not obtained. Although the Cp (NG-A) showed high percentage of viable homozygous Cp/Cp embryos, the percentage decreased as maternal ages increased.

WL-G (White Leghorn G) and NG-A (Na-goya A)

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/ggs1921/49/2/49_2_87/_pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom