Japanese Bantam Thread!

I tried to get a video yesterday, but was laughing too hard. I let the young ones out to free range for a bit and one of my little mottled japs jumped up and latched onto one of my Brahma's tail feathers. She was so startled that she took off running with the little cockerel holding on.
lau.gif
He finally let go and raced after her with his little short legs. Poor fella.... he hasn't figured out that the tail feathers aren't the ones to grab, nor has he figured out that there is absolutely NO way he will ever be able to be "successful" with her.
gig.gif
Aww, poor guy! :D
yuckyuck.gif

I'm a huge fan of speckled, spotted, and frizzled birds. One of my little cockerels is looking to feather in as a blue mottled. He is a bit taller than I would like, but if he feathers in the way I hope, he will be put in a breeding pen with my black mottled hen I posted above.
fl.gif

Okay. So, the cages are done for my fair birds, and they are caged. I'm really worried about Makino though. He's started to adopt the "Proper", or at least somewhat proper, Japanese bantam pose, but along with that, there comes the problem of the fact that he's dragging his wings on the wire and ruffling feathers. Mom tried straw, but his poop gathers in the straw, even when we clean it daily, and he drags his wings through the poop and stains them..
he.gif
barnie.gif
I was wondering, what would you guys suggest? Deep shavings? Sand (I dont know why I asked sand, because wouldn't he just get dirty...)? I just want to keep him looking nice. Here are a few pics of Makino.

You could try putting a linner in the cage and then a small layer of sand... I am basing this on the sand for coops discussions on the forum, seems it absorbs well, and you just have to pooper scoop like for a kitty then. I think it is a courser sand that most folks use. Check out Got sand? You should! and Anyone use SAND in the run/coop, there are allot of ideas for bigger coops but they also discuss use in nesting boxes, and other situations. :)

I only use sand now for the grown birds.I love it. So much easier to clean and some people say it tears the feathers, but never had that issue.

I only use sand now for the grown birds.I love it. So much easier to clean and some people say it tears the feathers, but never had that issue.

You could try putting a linner in the cage and then a small layer of sand... I am basing this on the sand for coops discussions on the forum, seems it absorbs well, and you just have to pooper scoop like for a kitty then. I think it is a courser sand that most folks use. Check out [COLOR=005CB1]Got sand? You should![/COLOR] and [COLOR=005CB1]Anyone use SAND in the run/coop[/COLOR], there are allot of ideas for bigger coops but they also discuss use in nesting boxes, and other situations. :)

Thanks guys! We will try that with him! :)

Back
Top Bottom