Japanese Bantam Thread!

I would think you would want a clean legged frizzle breed to cross with, anyhow that is the way I would go, as you willhave to work on leg length, body carriage, tail carriage/angle and wing angle which is plenty. I think the Serama might be short backed too so that would be another plus, in favor of that breed.

Please help me put a name to these colours I have in a couple of my Jap Roosters. What colour is this guy? And his grumpy looking friend? Thanks.
The top one looks like it's part buff black tailed Japanese, but they both look like they're mixed with something other than Japanese to me.

The top one looks like it's part buff black tailed Japanese, but they both look like they're mixed with something other than Japanese to me.
Why do you think they are mixed with another breed? I am worried now as I have been selling them as Japanese Bantams.....

I only have theses chickens and I have been breeding from the original stock for 6 years. I started with several roosters and a few hens.. all of different colours. I let them all interbreed to see what new colours I can get.

Here are some more pics of my birds. I thought that only the Japanese carried the short leg gene? Can they pass that onto other breeds?

They look like Japs to me. Not all are show quality, but then again....... not every bird bred from SQ birds is SQ
wink.png

They look like Japs to me.  Not all are show quality, but then again....... not every bird bred from SQ birds is SQ ;)

I would trust what CarolinaHen says. I'm definitely no expert. I've just never seen one that looked like the bottom roo, and I've looked at LOTS of Japanese. He looks like a cross between my bb red and a Japanese, but if you're only crossing your own birds that you know to be Japanese, then that's what they are! Just maybe not show quality, like CarolinaHen says.

Show quality or not, they're adorable, and you look like you have the beautiful gardens to show them off! I personally choose chickens for personality and egg production, so I don't care if they're SQ or not. Yours are really cute.

Show quality or not, they're adorable, and you look like you have the beautiful gardens to show them off! I personally choose chickens for personality and egg production, so I don't care if they're SQ or not. Yours are really cute.
I agree. I keep some birds for show, and some just for pets. My favorite Serama is definitely not SQ, but he is the sweetest cockbird I have ever had. He purrs and cuddles
love.gif
He throws SQ babies too
ya.gif

I agree.  I keep some birds for show, and some just for pets.  My favorite Serama is definitely not SQ, but he is the sweetest cockbird I have ever had.  He purrs and cuddles :love He throws SQ babies too :ya

My favorite bird of all time was a black tailed buff Japanese that would go to sleep in our arms.:love He was the sweetest roo I've ever seen. Years ago, we got a black Japanese roo and two hens that were show quality, and they were so scared of us that we haven't bothered with any more show quality since. I know it has a lot to do with how they are raised, but I was shocked at how skittish the poor things were. I gave them away to someone who wanted show birds because I wanted to make room for some chicks that we could hand raise instead. We love to cuddle our chickens! Our hand raised Japanese have always been the sweetest and calmest of all of the breeds we've had.

We have a few assorted chicks right now (not show quality by any means) that are very cuddly. We're trying to teach them to perch on our shoulders. :lol:

Last edited:

OHHHHH 

Black Tailed Buff!!!  Man I need to find some of those eggs. I have a gorgeous roo

I am not sure if you can see this little buff roo very well, but I had some broody hens and got the egg he came from off eBay. He's adorable. I was surprised at how nice looking the birds ended up being. He's pretty young here and hasn't filled out. I need to update my pics.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom