Japanese Bantam Thread!

Here are two of my 10 month old Roos.
Big Boy, named because he was always the largest of the chicks when growing up.

.......... and LiL Boy, named because he looks so much like Big Boy , but smaller.

She's really pretty. I've though about getting BTW, but I really only got my Mottled for 2 main reasons. One, I was about to get an extremely nice pair. Two, I had been and still am looking for BTBs. LOL I have a really nice roo I hatched out almost 3 years ago. Only one to hatch from some shipped eggs. Multi winning parents. I love him! I just can't find girls for him and really sad I can't. I hate no having chicks from him. I was supposed to get eggs a while back, but they ended up being hatchery birds. I can't afford to work on another project and have to breed forever to remove flaws. I didn't even want bantams, but I sure have them now. LOL

She's really pretty. I've though about getting BTW, but I really only got my Mottled for 2 main reasons. One, I was about to get an extremely nice pair. Two, I had been and still am looking for BTBs. LOL I have a really nice roo I hatched out almost 3 years ago. Only one to hatch from some shipped eggs. Multi winning parents. I love him! I just can't find girls for him and really sad I can't. I hate no having chicks from him. I was supposed to get eggs a while back, but they ended up being hatchery birds. I can't afford to work on another project and have to breed forever to remove flaws. I didn't even want bantams, but I sure have them now. LOL
I'm beginning to understand your dilemma. Tried this spring to hatch some purebred eggs from my BWT roos and pullets. None of the settings were successful, but when I put mixed eggs under them, they all hatched. Duh!
This next fall and spring I'll have my BWT's separated with LiL Boy, and hopefully I'll be in business.

So tomorrow or on the fourth of july im having 2 BTW chicks hatching from my birds. this is my first ever hatch from them! HOPEFULLY ill have good chicks....since Cadbury nessa and atna are all related through their father! I was pretty mad my breeder didn't have 3 roos with 5 hens. I KNOW for a fact they are related. so my fingers are crossed I wont have any mutated chicks and I can start up my breeding to get NPIP certified and ship hatching eggs.\

what do you guys think?

So tomorrow or on the fourth of july im having 2 BTW chicks hatching from my birds. this is my first ever hatch from them! HOPEFULLY ill have good chicks....since Cadbury nessa and atna are all related through their father! I was pretty mad my breeder didn't have 3 roos with 5 hens. I KNOW for a fact they are related. so my fingers are crossed I wont have any mutated chicks and I can start up my breeding to get NPIP certified and ship hatching eggs.\

what do you guys think?
Hope your eggs hatch, but remember purebred BWT's have a curse against them that cuts into the percentage of hatch-a-bility.
jumpy.gif

Hope your eggs hatch, but remember purebred BWT's have a curse against them that cuts into the percentage of hatch-a-bility.
jumpy.gif
so purebred is if they are fully jap? I have NEVER hatched my eggs but so far 1 is pipped! of my 7 eggs set 5 are pipped, but I only set 2 japs. the other jap isn't pipped but ill giv it some time. they are 2 days early!

so purebred is if they are fully jap? I have NEVER hatched my eggs but so far 1 is pipped! of my 7 eggs set 5 are pipped, but I only set 2 japs. the other jap isn't pipped but ill giv it some time. they are 2 days early!
Here is the culprit in BWT's.......
Genetics:
Japanese bantams have extremely short legs.
The trait is mainly caused by a single lethal gene,
and all Japanese bantams are heterozygous. When the
bantams are bred, 25% of the embryos receive two
mutant alleles and die before hatching. 50% of the
embryos receive one mutant allele and one wild type
allele and are short-legged. The remaining 25%
receive two wild type alleles and have legs that
are longer than what most breeders want. When the
long-legged birds are bred together, they never
produce offspring with short legs.

Here is the culprit in BWT's.......
Genetics:
Japanese bantams have extremely short legs.
The trait is mainly caused by a single lethal gene,
and all Japanese bantams are heterozygous. When the
bantams are bred, 25% of the embryos receive two
mutant alleles and die before hatching. 50% of the
embryos receive one mutant allele and one wild type
allele and are short-legged. The remaining 25%
receive two wild type alleles and have legs that
are longer than what most breeders want. When the
long-legged birds are bred together, they never
produce offspring with short legs.

huh. well, none of my japs ive ever hatched have had long legs so far. my breeder does good with his birds and every egg hatches with short legs. hopefully I have the same lick with my jap hatching now

Back
Top Bottom