Japanese Bantam Thread!

Finally; all my white jap black tail chicks are now going into the coop at night. 4 made the change 6 weeks ago, and 3 started yesterday. That makes 11 all total with a Roo, a hen , and the two mamma's. All seven of the little one snuggled up side by side tonight.

Finally , with the temperature dropping I remembered to get a PIC of all the chicks in the Coop. The 3 babies are in the middle of the roost. Can you find the 4 older adolescents ?

Finally , with the temperature dropping I remembered to get a PIC of all the chicks in the Coop. The 3 babies are in the middle of the roost. Can you find the 4 older adolescents ?
What lines are your japs? I recently sold my breeding trio in the super and was so upset. I really miss this breed!

What lines are your japs? I recently sold my breeding trio in the super and was so upset. I really miss this breed!
I have no idea. I purchased 10 chicks from Cackle Hatchery in the summer of 2013, and only got 3 pullets. So, now I'm hatching eggs from selected hens, and roos, to see which hatch-lings I prefer.

New here! We have four Black tailed white adults, several month old chicks, and 8 more in the incubator :)

This is my first experience raising chickens, though TWS (my dh) has a lot more experience. We got our adults this summer and the babies are from our little flock. I am so taken by how sweet our rooster is!

Here is a behavior question: one of our hens (Myka) is also our boldest hen. She just is fairly unafraid. BUT she also is the one who insists on snuggling under Chandler's wing at night, literally trying to bury her face under his chest. If he tries to move away, she just keeps scooting over to him until he can't go further in the roost :)

BUT we don't think she is the one who laid the eggs. We think Elyse, an older hen, but also the most reserved and wary of the hens, is the layer.

Then there is Victoria who is regal, not as bold as Myka, not as delicate in movement and gesture as Elyse. She and Elyse hang out together, usually on a different part of the roost.

So what is the behavior going on here? Is Myka the dominant hen because she gets to hang out with Chandler at night? Or is she just emotionally high maintenance after being so bold all day? :)

Does egg laying have anything to do with dominance? or age?

big kev
2665.png
2665.png
2665.png
2665.png
:-D

Does anyone know of japanese bantam breeders in Oregon? I am thinking of getting some and breeding them. Also, if anyone knows about them please PM me because all I know is they're small, adorable, and sweet!:)

Does anyone know of japanese bantam breeders in Oregon? I am thinking of getting some and breeding them. Also, if anyone knows about them please PM me because all I know is they're small, adorable, and sweet!:)
Sorry; I don't know of any Oregon poultry breeders.
I especially like the White Japanese Black Tails . Each one has its own personality. They are flighty. A feature I like, but they only fly when they come to feed, or something spooks them out in the yard, and they only fly towards the safety of the barn. I let mine free range , but they seem to know not to stray far from the coop (up till now, that is). they make great little mamma's. They don't lay a lot of eggs, but when they are laying it's regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom