Japanese Bantam Thread!

One of our little Japanese
1f600.png
1f600.png
.... @Cuddlefish
This is one of the show quality roos just discovered how to crow it is so funny

Last edited:
So my dad didn't follow instructions when he was ordering my chicks and added some Japanese bantams (among other things) to my order because he thought they looked cool. I'm glad he did because I love these guys!

Anyway, they're four weeks old now and I figured I would post some pictures and see if anyone has gender guesses.

Blue is very sweet and likes to be held. I'm not sure on it

Red, who is a feisty one, looks male to me

Frosty is a glutton, always the first one to get a treat. Also not sure on it

I get that they're little, so I'll probably have more pictures at 6-8 weeks. But any ideas are appreciated!

Is that how you sex this breed? I learn something new every few minutes on here.

They just got pt tested for the fair so excuse the string on Blue -- we were using it to tell which ones had been poked already. S/he just hasn't picked it off yet like most of the flock

Red

Blue

So my dad didn't follow instructions when he was ordering my chicks and added some Japanese bantams (among other things) to my order because he thought they looked cool. I'm glad he did because I love these guys!

Anyway, they're four weeks old now and I figured I would post some pictures and see if anyone has gender guesses.

I get that they're little, so I'll probably have more pictures at 6-8 weeks. But any ideas are appreciated!

The males in this breed tend to have thicker legs females have skinny legs and to be show quality they have to have REALLY short legs. Basically just toes lol

Yeah, I've seen some pictures of super short legs. Mine are just for the county fair. Given that all we have is a commercial egg and commercial meat class to choose from this year (they're adding a 'fancy poultry' class for everything else next year!) I know they won't do well, but to keep chickens in my town they have to be bantams and a 4h project. Perhaps one of them will get fairgoer favorite for being so cute and tiny though.

Yeah, I've seen some pictures of super short legs. Mine are just for the county fair. Given that all we have is a commercial egg and commercial meat class to choose from this year (they're adding a 'fancy poultry' class for everything else next year!) I know they won't do well, but to keep chickens in my town they have to be bantams and a 4h project. Perhaps one of them will get fairgoer favorite for being so cute and tiny though.

I have a set of show quality that are ready for a home and about to have a broody hatch more.

Last edited:

All roosters by comb development. Pretty young to sex accurately though. Good luck!

hello, wondered if you can give me a picture of a japanese mottled chick, I have a mixed selection of bantams and the wee chick which has been hatched by a Seabright, just might be a Japanese! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom