Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
So glad to find this thread! here is my son with his pair and we have 2 new babies... they are sooo tiny!

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

I was worried b/c their wings have a few white feathers, will they grow out of them? I don't know what sex they are yet, we have more in the bator now. they both have nice short legs and one has quite a bit of yellow which to my understanding from the last show thats a good thing. We just love them!
love.gif

Michael Schmidt from the Japanese Bantam group has been kind enough to let me borrow some images of the short legs. The first shows a medium and short leg. The medium legs will grow up to be too long for showing.

10901_japanese_leg_1.jpg

Scecond image shows two short leg chicks on a table, so you can see that the leg isn't even visible under the down.

10901_japanese_leg_2.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
What a beautiful large comb on the rooster, this is one of the really desirable traits, along with five nice even spikes, which I think I can see. I'm not sure about the colors. I know my buckeyes start out with a lot of colors but end up with one color.

How awesome are those chicks
love.gif
I have another 6 eggs half baked lol, So hopefully I will have some show quality chicks. What percentage of chicks are short legged generally? eg... short legged cock and hen mating..... would that produce 50% short leg and 50% dead in shell?

Short leg roo x short leg hen = 25% dead in shell, 50 % short leg and 25% long leg. Just remember sometimes the short legs have trouble hatching, fertility can be an issue, and not all short legged chicks will be show quality. And sometimes you get some inbetween that are hard to tell. I am told you get to where you can tell the keepers right away. I'm not there yet.

I absolutely love my black tail buff japanese pair. They were the first ones I got when I got into chickens. They are very flighty but quite comical. The rooster is sure that he is full-size and was able to fertilize my standard size hens's eggs. Dying to see what I get from those! I have some eggs in the incubator now, so in 3 weeks (less a day) I guess I'll see.

fl.gif

coop's chicks :

I absolutely love my black tail buff japanese pair. They were the first ones I got when I got into chickens. They are very flighty but quite comical. The rooster is sure that he is full-size and was able to fertilize my standard size hens's eggs. Dying to see what I get from those! I have some eggs in the incubator now, so in 3 weeks (less a day) I guess I'll see.

fl.gif

I notice your location. Where are you?​

Quote:
I can't see the legs, so I can't tell about them. Was he crowing? because if he carries himself like this all the time it is too upright, like a serama. Just remember, I haven't been around Japanese Bantams that long, so don't take my word alone.

Back
Top Bottom