Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
I got back at 4:45 this am from the Ohio National. There were some really nice Japanese bantams there. I got Reserve Variety with the BTW hen that was lost at the State fair and since recovered. There were black, mottled, BTW, Wheaten, BTB, white, firzzled mottle, grey, barred, and bearded You should see them, they are so cute, wish I would have got some pictures. It was an excellent learning experience, getting a chance to talk to folks who have been breeding Japanese for many years. Hopefully, those lessons will be evidenced in my youngsters next year.

Hello All

I had a quick question - my friend has BTW fantails and when we visited the show at nationals we spent quite a bit of time looking atthe ones shown there. My question was - there seemed to be a bit of variance on size on the roosters and most visible was the backs and tail set. Some where more " U" shaped and then some were very " V" shaped with tails really almost coming forward to the roosters head- really not seeing any back. Which is preferable according to the SOP- or is it really a matter of taste? Some looked alittle Serama like i think ?
hide.gif

Not saying anything bad - jsut trying to learn - none the less they were beatiful birds

Thanks!

Well, I've never heard them called fantails, but the question remains. I happen to agree there is a great similarity between the Japanese and the Seramas.
hide.gif
The biggest two differences are the short leg gene in the Japanese is not present in the Seramas, the other is the upright stance of the Seramas versus the more horizontal stance of the Japanese. And of course, the size. Many times the "U" in the back is obscured by the hackle feathers of the neck flowing down over the back, giving the appearance of a "V". This is where the handling of the bird is important, the judge can tell more about the bird than you are able to see. The tail can come forward of vertical, but should never come past the back of the head.

Well, I went to the Pelican Classic in Haynesville, Louisiana today. Not very many Japanese, but I got a surprise best of breed out of a little cockerel I carried. His tail feathers are starting to come in with some real nice lacing. I can't wait to see how he looks when they finich coming in.

I already posted a thread on this little one but wondering if I can get a better response on this thread. There doesn't seem to be as many Jap. fanciers as other types of chickens on the mesg. board. This little guy/girl is now nearly 2 and a half weeks old. The parents are black and have produced only black up until this point! I find this very interesting and I don't know enough about genetics to know what color this might be. This last hatch was the best hatch I have ever had using two broody silkies I had a 90% hatch rate! only one egg did not hatch! So we have 5 babies. One is small and so far nearly perfect! the others have varying leg length and two of those have odd looking combs. One looks as though it's splitting into two combs in the back and the other looks almost like a pea or nearly non-existent comb so it will be interesting to see how they turn out. And then there is this little fellow! born WHITE with a touch of grey/blue. There is no chance of an egg mix-up because I have my breeding pair separated. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK???

785596529_photobucket_31653_.jpg

785596529_photobucket_31652_.jpg

785596529_photobucket_31651_.jpg

So you've got this pair separated, and you didn't put anybody else's egg in the incubator they could have gotten mixed up with? How many have you hatched from these two specific birds before? If not many, then I say some recessive genes got combined in the combination. It is odd, though, that you would have several strange appearances in one hatch, color, split comb, and almost no comb. Where did you get these chickens? I almost sounds like someone has been dabbling in a project in the recent past.

Hi Everone
Is anyone going to the show at Winston-Salem, on saturday (after Thanksgiving). Im looking for some nice Black tailed buffs, and grays.
Thanks
Danny

I got them from a great breeder, they where a gift to my son, everyone in his 4H group got a breeding pair of chickens to bring home. So far this will make 9 hatched this year. I have terrible incubator luck so I used broody silkies for this hatch and it went great. I have gone over and over a possible egg mix up but there isn't any chickens I have that would make a chick that looks like this!
hu.gif
The others from previous hatches have come out fine excluding one case of wry tail. The only Chickens I have that would lay an egg that looks anything close to a jap. egg would be a nankin and this is definitely not a nankin chick. I have high hopes
fl.gif
to get some good birds out of this pair, they themselves have won a blue ribbon or two at a few fairs. I am at a loss though what else you could possibly get from two blacks!!!??? I know with japanese you never know about what leg length you might get but color!? from two of the same color birds....weird!
idunno.gif
This one obviously has longer legs but I never expected to find a white chick in the hatch...so curious to see what she will look like!!!
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom