Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
i dont like my japanese
sad.png
anyone want her! lol

Not going to Winston-Salem, but going to Shawnee Dec 11. Its the JBBA 2010 national, there ought to be some good birds there, now whether or not any of them will be for sale is another issue. I guess either one is a long trip for you. Do you already have a purchase arranged? The Winston Salem spring meet is the 2011 JBBA national.

Quote:
OK, don't get mad at my questions, because I don't know you and I don't know what you know. How long has this hen been away from other roosters? A hen can store sperm up to a month. Once She has been bred a time or two by another rooster, it is unlikely it will be used, but it is possible.

Then there are always "sports". Never heard of them in Japanese, but that doesn't mean it can't happen, though. All I've heard of are a white chicken that pops up every once in a while from some other pure color. I had a white maran once out of cuckoo marans.

Just keep on trying and see if you get any more, then I would say its a gene the parents are carrying. If you keep her, it would be fun to see pics when she gets bigger.

PS, it wouldn't hurt to ask the breeder about it, he may know.

Last edited:
Quote:
OK, don't get mad at my questions, because I don't know you and I don't know what you know. How long has this hen been away from other roosters? A hen can store sperm up to a month. Once She has been bred a time or two by another rooster, it is unlikely it will be used, but it is possible.

Then there are always "sports". Never heard of them in Japanese, but that doesn't mean it can't happen, though. All I've heard of are a white chicken that pops up every once in a while from some other pure color. I had a white maran once out of cuckoo marans.

Just keep on trying and see if you get any more, then I would say its a gene the parents are carrying. If you keep her, it would be fun to see pics when she gets bigger.

PS, it wouldn't hurt to ask the breeder about it, he may know.

Not knowing you either - i actually agree with jenjscott - dealing in Delawares - obviously i am well aware of the "sport" thing and perhaps there was alittle "ooopsie" with another rooster before she came to you -
Plus i think that sometimes genetic wise - there is a color in the past and the gene pool jsut brings it forward randomly and it shows up.

No worries! It takes a lot to upset me, esp. On here
wink.png

we have had this hen for a year now and there was only one time she was housed w/ a nankin roo for a short time. Then I moved her back with the japanese roo and she was with him for quite a while before she even laid an egg. Not sure how long, but, a nankin wouldn't produce white either only buff. I do plan on keeping" bleach" and can't wait to see how she feathers out. I may even see what kind of offspring she may have
smile.png
these chickens are my sons and for his 4h project he is breeding them. So this is pretty interesting for his project!

I am very excited. Waiting the arrival (in the morning I hope) of some new Japanese. I am getting some barred hens, black hens, and a brarred rooster! I just can't wait
wee.gif
But I guess I have to.
barnie.gif

I've gotten involved in an auction listing a trio of white Japanese Bantams, the listing says the trio were badly neglected and that this seller had taken them in 6 months ago because she 'felt' sorry for them. After months of treatments and visits to the vet, she decided to list them on an auction site.
Well I have been waiting for white Japs to appear for the last 2 years so decided to grab them while I can. I couldn't properly iew these birds before hand as the seller lives so far in the North. Anyway, the image showed they definitely looked like Japs so I took a gamble and won them in an auction.

When the trio arrived, they weren't in good shape (pretty understandable since they travelled a long way via petbus). I immediately put them in isolation after inspecting them for mites, lices etc,etc, treated them before offering them water mixed with Ornithon (vitamin supplements) to refresh them with.

I've noticed the bad scaley legs on the male's and unfortunately they are what I would refer to as 'dragon-scales' because they're that thick and ugly.
They're the worst case of scaley legs I've ever had, on hand and unfortunately they will never reverts back to normal. I've had one breeder advising me to break off the scales, to regrow new ones!!? *I've not had this kind of bad problem before!*
I've also noticed that he was missing three claws from his toes!! What the heck happened to him??
hu.gif

The girls legs' were in better state and can be treated easily enough for their scales to revert back to normal.

I've noticed one of the females displayed 'turned' feathers on one side of her neck, like she was combed back on one side (a bit of frizzle?) and both females were long and slender from head to shoulders.
These 3 Japs are long legged, not short-legged. *And apparently we don't have any short legged Japs in NZ anyway).*

Unfortunately I meant to take some photos but they're so easily startled that the females take off inside their house and the male pacing around in an agitated state. It is very sad to see this, curse the idiot who let them down and ruined them.
somad.gif

They have since managed to roost between the partition wall of their nest boxes and the roof, where I've painted the interior roof of their little chook-house with old engine oil/kerosene prior to their arrival. The stuff must've still be a bit too oily as they came out of their house being 'blotchy' white instead of white/white!
ep.gif
"Uh-oh!"

Last edited:
Of course you have a long road in front of you to get these turned around. Make sure you have killed any mites involved in the scaley legs. I know the scales will grow back like feathers, but I have never actually "scaled" more than a few at a time. Scaley leg mites and poor foot hygiene can cause the loss of toenails, or it can be hereditary. Can you import from australia?, Australia has many different types, from what I've seen, silkied and frizzled too. I'm sorry your trio are in a sad state, I can't imagine what they must have been like before their "rescue".

Back
Top Bottom