Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
Hi everyone
My name is Danny. Im trying to raise japs, again after not having any for a long time. I joined the JBBA and the yahoo discussion group. Im trying to get some information for breeders. Im going to try and develop crele japs. A couple of people told me to cross barreds with wheatons or bb reds. I have all three colors, amoung others.
What I want to know is if anyone can tell me what color crossed with what color makes what color. Example one person told me if I crossed a black tailed buff male (btb) with black tailed white females- the resulting chicks would be pure btb female. But the males would be worthless. Then cross the new generation females with the first btb male to get pure males.
I would like to make a list of cross and the resulting colors. Any thing would be helpful. I cant seem to get a response on the JBBA yahoo group.
Thanks again for any help.
Danny

Hi Danny, have you tried the chicken calculator? It's a great resource. http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator Also, there are probably a lot more folks in oegb that have experimented with that, you may be able to find more info there, or I know there are some working on crele cochins. There are a few adventurous folks that are trying some new colors in the Japanese, but they are a very traditionally minded group, as you know.

for example, picking from the list, it is more complete than the pictures, cross a male barred on a wheaten female, cross the resultin barred male on a wheaten female and one sixteenth will be single factor black patterned gold wheaten barred, breed back to black patterned gold wheaten barred female from the same crossing and you will get an occasional double factor male, which when bred to the black patterned gold wheaten barred female will breed true. The only thing missing in this is the crele lists duckwing gene, so you might have to throw that in there somewhere. You have to play with the calculator, but you can get real close to real life results from it.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! been a while since I have posted on the thread, just watching. But we have new babies! One of our hens went broody on her own and has made a WONDERFUL mother we had a great hatch, 5 out of 6! Here they are.....

785596529_photobucket_58617_.jpg

785596529_photobucket_58616_.jpg

785596529_photobucket_58612_.jpg

To the best of my knowledge and feather sexing, I have 2 long leg females, 1 long leg male, one short leg female and one short leg male, can't wait to see if my guessing is true! (by long leg I mean not short not necessarily long)

I have a question to those who show/ breed... do you keep your long leg hens for breeding so you get better hatch rates? These eggs where a mixture of two short leg hens and one long leg and one med. leg hen so I am not sure who laid what, my rooster is a short leg. We got some nice looking chicks though, and if their legs are long they aren't very long, mostly medium.

Quote:
I wish I could help! I know nothing about color crossing, and actually not having any luck getting a response from that yahoo group either, I have asked a few questions and never got one response!

My main question is, that we have black japs and would like to maybe get another color going, but not sure I want a bunch more roosters so I was wondering what variety I could get to put with the black that would still breed an accepted color since my son likes to show. Anyone here know?

Im not sure but someone told me the some people try mottled. If you get a mottled male and cross with the black hens, you would get black birds. I dont know for sure. You could try finding a breeder and just get a pair or trio of a color. Dont know if this helps.
Danny
Quote:
I wish I could help! I know nothing about color crossing, and actually not having any luck getting a response from that yahoo group either, I have asked a few questions and never got one response!

My main question is, that we have black japs and would like to maybe get another color going, but not sure I want a bunch more roosters so I was wondering what variety I could get to put with the black that would still breed an accepted color since my son likes to show. Anyone here know?

One of the problems is that black is so dominant that most crosses are going to give you black at least in the first generation. Barred will give you barred roos and black hens, but the roos are "single factor" barred and I'm not sure if that is acceptable for showing.

Colors are confusing me too. We have Many little bantams hatched from our buff pair. A couple of the little roosters have tons of black on them and they look kind of mottled. The others are the various shades of buff. Not really sure what to make of the different colors this pair through. Would love to hear any ideas.
smile.png

Today is hatch day for my 12 Black Tail Buffs. so far 9 are out and 1 is about ready to pop it top no signs of any thing from the other 2.
Maybe if I had candled I could have had a 100% hatch. I'll give them an extra day or two.
thumbsup.gif
jumpy.gif
:
celebrate.gif
:
ya.gif
:
wee.gif
:
woot.gif
:
yippiechickie.gif