Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
Quote:
That is the cutest little boy I've ever seen!! He's cute as a button!
bow.gif
love.gif

I have four black-tailed white Chabo (Japanese bantam) chickens. Two cocks and two hens. Love them. The cocks are so gentle natured and the hens, while a bit shy, are great broodies. They all have short- to medium-short legs which is way cool.

The only issue I have is I can't get them to breed! The roos are very unaggressive and don't even approach the hens. The hens show no interest in the roos. Meanwhile, my cocky little Belgian d'anvers roo jumps the Chabo hens whenever he can, and I will not let them keep the eggs. I am not a good matchmaker.
sad.png

Yoie, I can usually tell pretty early, but 1 week is pretty early even for a Japanese.

Curlieque, you could have chimed in at any time, but welcome!

GardenerGal, I Agree with How old are they? I am still having trouble with fertility. It might help to separate the hens and roos for a day or two, then put a roo in with the hens and watch for a little while. My girls if they are ready will usually run under the roo, like "if you're waitin' on me, you're backin' up"

Hi -
The roosters are going on three years old. The hens are two-year-olds. The roos don't even do a "rooster dance" around the hens. I was thinking maybe they are intimidated by the other bantam roosters in the barn that are more aggressive. The Chabo hens mingle with the others, but the 2 roos stay together (originally I had 4 roosters, and they were either brothers or hatch-mates -- I got them at 24-weeks-old at a swap/sale).

I do have a large hutch-coop inside the barn, that the 2 boys go in at night because they don't seem interested in flying up to the rafters where the other birds roost. I could try putting the girls in with them and see if nature takes its course, but I'm not very encouraged by their behavior.

Last edited:
If you have them mixed with other breeds and not separated, they are probably too far down on the totem pole to even dream about it. If you want purebred you are going to have to separate them.

Quote:
Of course you're right, jenjscott. They should be separated for breeding. I keep my other breeds separated in their own coops during "breeding season," until they've produced as many broods as I plan for the year. That's how I keep purebreds pure. The rest of the time when they're not being bred, the breeding pairs get free run of the barn and pen, along with the birds I don't use for breeding, and any eggs become omlets.
wink.png

It's more of a "real estate" issue where I don't have enough breeding coops. Guess if I really want to breed the Japanese bantams I'll have to make room. Putting up a new breeding coop next week!

Last edited:
i have some of my daughters mottled japs in the incubator... about 16 and they are at day 8 and fertile (we have 3 hens and 2 roos) we have one pair of BTB and have 2 in there growing so
fl.gif
that we get a good hatch.

my daughter now wants all the colors of japs
smile.png
soo lookin for some hatching eggs.... what are all the colors we can show for japs and what are the other colors being developed?

thanks
caroline

Well my prediction was right!

The chicks are old enough to tell now and I definitely have 2 rooster and 3 hens...so the wing sexing worked!! That leave me with one short leg pair and the rest are long leg. I will post pics again soon
big_smile.png

I'm new at posting on here but I wanted to share some of my Japanese. I hatch about 20 grays last year and well i'm not sure how this happened but when they where mostly black just getting there gray one of them was not getting gray she was getting a brown red color.. well I love her and would like to get more this color I'm not sure if my Black tail buff got in with my grays or what but I keep all my colors in there own pens. any Ideas?
here are pictures
54613_dsc01584.jpg

54613_jjhhf_24.jpg

54613_dsc01587.jpg

Back
Top Bottom