Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
Can anyone tell me if my japs are show quality?!? I got them from my cousin and I don't know much about them!!

99150_quail_002.jpg

I think the roo looks pretty good....I would maybe put him somewhere where he wouldn't drag his feathers; therefore, staining them. His crown is absolutely gorgeous....perfectly shaped. I would say the roo could probably win you some ribbons in the state/county fairs (from what I have seen and I have japs too). The hen......maybe not so much (in my opinion). Her legs look kind of old...how old are they? Would be better if they were brighter yellow.

It never hurts to try though...and you will learn a lot along the way. I have never shown mine....but I have been a frequent observer.....and a lot of times, wished I had shown mine!!

Good luck to you!

Quote:
yeah the legs are to long for show, might make some short leg babies depending on their breeding. And also agree they need a fuller shape more of a round breast. SO you have a good start
wink.png

Unless you are interested in showing them in Major shows....the legs won't really matter....or at least in the state/county fairs I attended, it didn't.

I hatched out about 25 eggs from my true short legged hen and a med leg roo....only ended up with 2 true short legs. Very hard to come by I am assuming...unless its kind of like the luck of the draw, sometimes you have better luck than others.

Quote:
It kind of is the luck of the draw, out of three hatches this year with a total of 12 live chicks. The first hatch had 2 out of 5, 1 out of 1 and 3 out of 6. I have 3 short leg hens and one med. leg hen in with our SQ short leg roo. so with 6 out of 12 I got half, I am pretty sure it also depends on the breeding line. We have great show stock but there is a lot of competition here for japs, they come in pretty large numbers in every show we enter ( fairs and poultry shows) and competition is always really good. Our birds do well in their variety but haven't won best of breed. But I always find attending shows is the best way to learn! By grabbing the judge and finding out just what he thinks and talking to other breeders you can learn SOOO much! So even if all you have is med. leg birds, go for it anyway so you can learn, poultry shows are cheap and a good way to get out talk with other chicken people!

I am looking for Show Quality Gray Japanese Bantams for one of my 4-H Kids. Preferably a trio. Does anyone here have any SQ currently for sale? Or can point me in the direction of who has the best of the best? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom