Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
70005_btwchabo.jpg

I am picking up my first birds next week. A couple of them are suspected to be Japs. (they were given from an "assorted" group, so we dotn know the breeding). They will be about 8-10 weeks old. What can I look for to know if they are indeed japanese bantams?

The paintings are lovely!

I guess in order to know if they are indeed Japanese you should look up the breed and study the characteristics some. Try feathersite.com.

Hello Japanese Bantam people!

Someone is trying to convince me to buy some Japanese bantam chicks. I am very tempted because I just love the breed!

The person told me the rooster's crow is much quieter than a regular LF chicken. I think they are pulling my leg. Is that true? Have you found that to be true? Or are they just as noisy as every other rooster?
smile.png

well that depends... They are not as loud as the other larger breed roos I had last year.

BUT, we have a btb roo... he is the loudest roo of the bunch... and he will start a crowing competition in the barn while you are feeding him and crow in your face... LOL...

we have a white roo he is older and he has a quiet crow.

But, what seems loud to me may not be loud to others. I have neighbors on all sides of my house except the back....

and when i told them that i have chickens and roosters they didn't even know I had them....

there dogs bark louder than the japs crow.

So it would be different for each roo I suppose. but my roosters don't crow all day and night either.

Thanks for sharing
smile.png

How large is your lot? how close are your neighbors to you?

The neighbors around me for hte most part like chickens, but he LF Ameraucana cockerel I had was really quite loud. And he would start really early in the morning. But if I could get ahold of quieter ones, I don't think it would be a big deal.

My lot is about 2 acres I would say that the barn is 100 ft away from the nearest neighbor.

When I had a polish roo and a hamburg roo they were louder.

If you had just one jap roo, i dont think it would be as loud as mine

right now we have 4 roos and 2 cockrels that are crowing all in the same barn...

i just got an americana cockrel so dont know when it will start crowing or how loud it will be...

Quote:
Thanks for sharing yoru experiences! My coop is like 30-40 feet from the nearest neighbor, so still a little concerned. But ya maybe only one rooster wouldn't be too loud.

we have all kinds and I have to say I think ours crow quieter than our other bantams even. For sure quieter than our silkies and even the nankins. Out of all the rooster his crow is my favorite!
love.gif
It sounds kind of like a little alarm clock, we have had him inside before shows and am able to sleep through the crowing from the next room (with the door shut of course)

Back
Top Bottom