Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about getting black tailed Japanese bantams this spring and was wondering if you can answer some of my questions.

1. Are they skittish, I have read some are very bad, some are not at all?
2. Are they cold hearty? I live in Wisconsin where we can get down to -30. I have a heated coop and don't let them out on days like that. but when it is the single digits. My birds have the option of leaving the coop or staying inside where it is warm
3. Do you mix them with full size chickens?
4. Did anyone every order them through the mail from a hatchery.

thank you, so much for your replies.

David

I have my Japs in with my Marans. No problems.
Cold.... The biggest issue we have here is the combs freezing. I have quite a few strange looking boys.
All missing points.
I have gotten Japs from both Ideal, and Cackle hatcheries.
As long as you aren't showing them, you'll be fine,
The biggest problem with hatchery birds is the long legs.
For pets, it's actually better for them to be a little higher up off the ground.

thanks for the reply, I plan on getting just pullet japanese bantams because I live in a place where we can't have roo's
in the winter I put vaseline on the combs of my other chickens so when they go out, their combs are protected, so far so good.

Did anyone ship them? do they ship well, I have never seen Japanese bantams in my area

thanks

David

I have my Japs in with my Marans. No problems.
Cold.... The biggest issue we have here is the combs freezing. I have quite a few strange looking boys.
All missing points.
I have gotten Japs from both Ideal, and Cackle hatcheries.
As long as you aren't showing them, you'll be fine,
The biggest problem with hatchery birds is the long legs.
For pets, it's actually better for them to be a little higher up off the ground.
Thats good to know about the Japs and marans doing good housed together. Mine will be housing together also. 1 Jap pair and 3 Marans pullets. The Japs just went into their newly built house yesterday(they are 9weeks) and the marans are still in the brooder in the house(2.5 weeks). As for the combs freezing that is probably mainly for the boys. If we did the petroluem jelly how often should it be applied? And do any of you in cold climates give them a heat lamp in the winter even if they are housed with big girls?

Also does anyone have any suggestion on how to choose which roo gets to stay and which ones go? I bought 4 Japanese Bantams a few weeks ago and it turns out I have 1girl 3boys. I dont know who to choose. Also til what age wil the 3 of the boys be fine to stay housed together? I dont want to rehome the other 2 boys until im sure I picked the best roo. I looking for a calm, friendly, sweet natured, hopefully somewhat quiet roo. Any tips on how to choice or how long I can keep all of them for?

It all depends on whether you are going to show, or breed SQ birds.
It's alot of work... Go look at the SOP that was posted a few pages back.
Go to shows,and talk to people.
The biggest issues Japs have is the leg length.
You have to do what is right for you.
You could have the most beautiful bird out there, but if he is rotten tempered....
I have the sweetest black roo, and a beauty (his pic is posted here somewhere) but he has long legs.
I have chosen to keep him, but I am not using him for any breeding program.

I also have all my Jap boys housed together.
No problems like my Marans... much more tolerant of each other.

It all depends on whether you are going to show, or breed SQ birds.
It's alot of work... Go look at the SOP that was posted a few pages back.
Go to shows,and talk to people.
The biggest issues Japs have is the leg length.
You have to do what is right for you.
You could have the most beautiful bird out there, but if he is rotten tempered....
I have the sweetest black roo, and a beauty (his pic is posted here somewhere) but he has long legs.
I have chosen to keep him, but I am not using him for any breeding program.

I also have all my Jap boys housed together.
No problems like my Marans... much more tolerant of each other.
Thanks for your reply. They are just for pet quality. No shows or breeding projects. If I get a few hatches out of them I will be very excited but will sell be selling them as pet quality to their new homes. And Ill keep a few
big_smile.png
. Im just wanting to pick a sweet rooster that will be good with my kids and the hen. This Japanese bantam will be our first rooster. I have 1 Marans chick that Im almost postive is a rooster but we dont think we will be keeping him
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom