Japanese Bantam Thread!

Hello everyone, I am thinking about getting black tailed Japanese bantams this spring and was wondering if you can answer some of my questions. 1. Are they skittish, I have read some are very bad, some are not at all?
2. Are they cold hearty? I live in Wisconsin where we can get down to -30. I have a heated coop and don't let them out on days like that. but when it is the single digits. My birds have the option of leaving the coop or staying inside where it is warm
3. Do you mix them with full size chickens? 4. Did anyone every order them through the mail from a hatchery. thank you, so much for your replies. David
That should be fine. Just introduce them carefully. Japanese roosters seem to be very docile compared to other breeds and they can co exist with other roosters if introduced properly most of the time.
Here is a pic of some of mine. I love this breed. They are so friendly and come running to me, even flying up onto my shoulders, and most love getting picked up and petted

My son showed his gray Japanese cockerel this weekend. Double show, BB in both...of course, he was the ONLY Japanese shown in the youth show, LOL, but hey, at least he didn't get DQ'd!!!
lol.png
I'll post pics soon.

Also does anyone have any suggestion on how to choose which roo gets to stay and which ones go? I bought 4 Japanese Bantams a few weeks ago and it turns out I have 1girl 3boys. I dont know who to choose. Also til what age wil the 3 of the boys be fine to stay housed together? I dont want to rehome the other 2 boys until im sure I picked the best roo. I looking for a calm, friendly, sweet natured, hopefully somewhat quiet roo. Any tips on how to choice or how long I can keep all of them for?
If you are able to house the hen away from them - Once they become sexually mature they should still be able to reside together peacefully once picking order is established. I have 4 jb roos and 4 hens all stay together with other standard sized chickens, ducks, & guinea fowl - They do very well with eachother , only little ruffled feathers & some head bobbing from time to time. They don't even crow loud or often! When it happens it's usually from the one who has a pretty funny crow - which I have to giggle at each time I hear it
smile.png
I have been lucky so far

If they start getting crazy just take the girl away= more time to choose the friendliest of them

Thank you for the good advice. I would love to have more time with them maybe ill build a smal bachelor pad for them just in case. I like them all so itll be a hard choice. I have heard the japanese roosters do very well together. I just dont want them to fight too much over the girl or be too noisy since there is 3 of them and I have marans chicks and ones a definite roo also. We havve never owned roosters so Im nervous about the neighbors
hide.gif

At what age are they mature, about 6 months?

Don't worry about the Japs... The Marans will be the deal breaker with the crowing.
I have a beautiful roo from Marquisella, that needs to go because of his crowing.
He competes with my avatar, and it is not very pretty in the noise dept.
The japs are very pleasant to listen to, as their little voice doesn't carry like the big birds.

Im glad to hear the japs arent too noisy I bought them on a whim because my husband and I have been talking about getting a rooster and I thought hmmm if I buy these starightrun it wouldnt fully be my fault if one ended up being a boy lol I was disappointed to see I only had one girl though. I think I may get a few more jap hens eventually. Are these chickens super flighty? I have them out in their new house I just built and it has a fully covered run. For the first few days they walked around on the ground. Now they are flying back and forth across the run trying to land on the 2x4 frame of the walls and even flying up into the roof hitting there heads than trying again. Are they just trying to learn there flying boundries? Im nervous for their tiny heads. They are 9-10weeks old.

Thank you for the reply, Your birds are beautiful

I am getting chickens that were born in may so they won't be chicks, I have my run covered so I think I am safe there. I won't be getting any roosters because I live in a rural subdivison and don't want to anger my neighbors. I am thinking of getting full size birds as chicks in the spring. Then I hope due to similar size the fighting will be minimal until they get used it. I thought 6 bantams to 4 full size chickens.
Here is a pic of some of mine. I love this breed. They are so friendly and come running to me, even flying up onto my shoulders, and most love getting picked up and petted

Can anyone help me with what color I should call these. I believe they came from a mottled hen and a BTW rooster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom