Japanese Bantam Thread!

Mine are settling in nicely. There was some good wind a week after I got them that damaged the quarantine coop, so they got moved into general population early. They seem happy, there wasn't really any bickering or fighting with the existing birds at all. My other roo out there is a d'uccle who hasn't quite had puberty kick in so that helped I think, and the large fowl chickens and waterfowl ignore the chickens for the most part. They were/are coming out of molt, so will his tail get longer? Would they be ok for showing, or producing show stock? I am thinking i want to take the rooster and hen in the back on the first picture, maybe the same hen as in the other pic but I'm not for sure lol. Can you see any reasons from the pics that those 2 would be disqualified or not do good? And is his comb tips being dark like that ok? They are like that quite a bit, but not all the time.

Were there any others in the class? A japanese Bantam's leg should be about 3/4 inch long. If you can see under a Jap the legs are too long.
[This data is for your information]

Last edited:
Were there any others in the class? A japanese Bantam's leg should be about 3/4 inch long. If you can see under a Jap the legs are too long.
[This dats is for your information]
That's correct. When the bird is walking about you should not be able to see any legs at all, only bits of the feet as they shuffle along.

One of the rooster.

In this pic the bird at the front left has legs that are too long, and the body shape is not right. (love her anyway)

I had a pair of breeding black-tailed buff japanese bantams. One was a pullet and almost ready to breed and the other was old enough. Now she is only a week or so from being ready and the male died! So upset! He was one of my fav boys
he.gif
hit.gif
th.gif

That's correct. When the bird is walking about you should not be able to see any legs at all, only bits of the feet as they shuffle along.

One of the rooster.

In this pic the bird at the front left has legs that are too long, and the body shape is not right. (love her anyway)
Beautiful black tailed red rooster :) Is that one hen you have a blue tailed white in the second picture?

Beautiful black tailed red rooster :) Is that one hen you have a blue tailed white in the second picture?
Yes, I have blue tail and black tail whites. Also mix colours and one black rooster. The roosters are always mating with different hens so I get all mixed up colours in the chicks - part of the fun seeing what they grown into.

Yes, I have blue tail and black tail whites. Also mix colours and one black rooster. The roosters are always mating with different hens so I get all mixed up colours in the chicks - part of the fun seeing what they grown into.
Do you ever sell hatching eggs, chicks or grown? I would like to have a few blue tailed whites and nice black tailed buffs. Its hard to find good short legged btb's anymore

Mine are settling in nicely. There was some good wind a week after I got them that damaged the quarantine coop, so they got moved into general population early. They seem happy, there wasn't really any bickering or fighting with the existing birds at all. My other roo out there is a d'uccle who hasn't quite had puberty kick in so that helped I think, and the large fowl chickens and waterfowl ignore the chickens for the most part. They were/are coming out of molt, so will his tail get longer? Would they be ok for showing, or producing show stock? I am thinking i want to take the rooster and hen in the back on the first picture, maybe the same hen as in the other pic but I'm not for sure lol. Can you see any reasons from the pics that those 2 would be disqualified or not do good? And is his comb tips being dark like that ok? They are like that quite a bit, but not all the time.
They look awesome.

Back
Top Bottom