Japanese Bantam Thread!

I don't have any Japanese bantams but I am interested in them and I was wondeirng if anyone could tell me how big these really are? I had been interested in seramas but they are not heat tolerant so I was looking at these. How big compared to them are they? I was also wondering what kind of living space they need? I am sure it is the same as any other bantam but I was wondering if there are any specifics or ideas.

Got my first egg from my japanese (bottom left) a few days ago. I'm hoping one of the other hens will start up now, so I can set some and check fertility. Can't wait to hatch some cute little jap chicks.
wee.gif
\

NYREDS fix your spelling I can't even tell what you are saying.
please respond ASAP

Surprised that the one letter made the entire message so difficult for you to understand. Let me try to be clearer, your Japanese Bantams [if that's what they are-they are so lacking in breed type I can only take your word for it] are very, very poor examples of the breed. If you are interested in exhibition they are not worth keeping. If all you need is chickens they're fine I'm sure but you should really stop presenting them as Japanese Bantams as they are such poor examples. Can you tell what I'm saying now or do you need further clarification?
PS- I spell checked this so as to be sure not to confuse you again.

Last edited:
lau.gif

I see it happen with all the other breeds, too.
People breed willy nilly colors together, and years later, other people wonder why they can't get these flaws bred out of their flock.
Sure, there are some fun ones out there, I have a few myself.
But they will not be sold. If given away, I tell their background. Fun only. Not for breeding.

Henny, figure them to be around the same size as a wet Silkie.
Except these guys can fly well.
The only two issues I have had with mine, is first, some of my boys with big combs have gotten frostbite on the tips in the really miserable winters.
That can be handled a few different ways.
And second, if you get a bird with really nice, short legs, then the wing tips will drag on the ground.
Keep their area clean and protected, and they should do fine.
You will love to have them.

Bantamboy, do you realize you are arguing with a poultry judge? He was not being mean, he was just judging your chickens, and you have taken offense at someone simply telling you the truth. We should appreciate having folks of this caliber here to help us with our breed standards. NYRED, some of us here do appreciate your involvement.

Bantamboy, do you realize you are arguing with a poultry judge? He was not being mean, he was just judging your chickens, and you have taken offense at someone simply telling you the truth. We should appreciate having folks of this caliber here to help us with our breed standards. NYRED, some of us here do appreciate your involvement.
x2
Critiques of your birds may be hard to hear, but will help to learn what your birds faults are, and what you need to improve on. It's not a personal insult against you or your birds, just an observation.
If anyone wants to "judge" mine, feel free. I think i have one hen with too much white, one has medium instead of short legs I think. I am taking what I think are the best 2 in spring to a show, and hoping the judge will be nice enough to take the time to tell me what needs improvement, and what the good points are on mine.

Back
Top Bottom