Japanese Bantam Thread!

My guess is that my hen sucks. From listening to y'all my hen has all the wrong things! She has long legs, her wings sit on up, but she's a purebred. Anything I need to do to improve while breeding her? Do I need a PERFECT rooster to improve their offspring? Please answer, Thanks so much!

My guess is that my hen sucks. From listening to y'all my hen has all the wrong things! She has long legs, her wings sit on up, but she's a purebred. Anything I need to do to improve while breeding her? Do I need a PERFECT rooster to improve their offspring? Please answer, Thanks so much!
Having not seen your hen it's hard to comment but I will accept your assessment that she is seriously flawed. In theory it is possible to start with a very poor bird, mate it to a better bird, rigorously cull the offspring & after many years end up with quality birds. However, I am reminded of the adage "you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear".
Rather than committing to what you realize is a poor bird as a starting point it would be quicker & cheaper to look for better quality birds to start with. As is often pointed out it doesn't cost any more to maintain good quality birds than it does to maintain poor quality birds.

Bantamboy, do you realize you are arguing with a poultry judge? He was not being mean, he was just judging your chickens, and you have taken offense at someone simply telling you the truth. We should appreciate having folks of this caliber here to help us with our breed standards. NYRED, some of us here do appreciate your involvement.
x3

Bird sitter, if you are looking to be on champion row next show you are at, then listen to NYREDS.
If you want some fun little birds, it's up to you.
Anyone serious enough to take criticism that wants to better the breed, and have great birds, should purchase a copy of the APA or ABA standard, READ IT, and join the JBBA.
PM me for more info.
Thanks, Bill. Last time I went off on a rookie smart mouthing a judge (Walt) I got into a pissing contest, and try to avoid them as much as I can lately.

Roberta

Ok, Thanks for the info! She's more of a pet to me not show bird, but I just wanted to see how she was. She's not full grown yet so you never know she could change!
smile.png

I wouldn't expect her legs to shorten

Thank you NYREDS for your consern but still my black tailed buff is still uundefeated in best in & variety at the VA Poltry Breeders Association.

P.S. they are amazing for hachery birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom