Japanese Coturnix Quail Color Genetics (Plumage mutations)

I am still deciphering it, that's my new project.

I have it on a separate file from last week and I can pm it to you.

Last edited:
Awesome Post Alexandra....seems like just yesterday I was breeding all the colors under the rainbow. Did you get some of your first Red and Red Tux Coturnix eggs off of me??? It was mainly me, Garrie, and 1-2 other breeders breeding this mutation back just 2 years ago. Now everyone has every Coturnix coloration...except...BLUE and BUFF. I'll get there
wink.png

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I had a look at that report and some of those colors are just beautiful.
I thought the blues were beautiful but those pansy's and the red eyed browns are out of this world. (Come on Alexandra, are you holding back on offering eggs for those?
wink.png
)

Last edited:
Quote:
Very interesting. I missed this one.

I have the Orange in my M Golds from time to time. At present 2 malesno description does not match. What I was calling a copper.
The Pansy is interesting but to dark for what I have seen in the Spring here. Still looking at the article.

I want to thank you Rainwolf for bursting my bubble.
hit.gif
gig.gif

But now I know. What I see in the Spring is not a form of dotted white.
This just describes it. Cream with little black dots all over them makes them fawn.
So evidently they are fawn2 mutations and they are all heterozygous females that I see. I would have been snookered into buying all females w/no males. Thought so.
But they are here somewhere, I am going to look and get a few anyway. Maybe I will luck out and they will have just been with males and are at start of lay.

I don't agree with some his changes to mutation names or the combining thereof. He's trying to combine variations of color to decrease the number of mutations to keep track of. Yes, there can be a bleu and lavender. Black is certainly different than brown, so the French study is not necessary wrong. etc. Since when is cinnamon, buff and orange the same. Are these guys color blind? or just against outside studies? I can't decide which.

Last edited:
ok... I understand what these mean but no idea who to tell which one my quail bird is....

Homozygous: Possessing two identical forms of a particular gene, one inherited from each parent.
Heterozygous: Possessing two different forms of a particular gene, one inherited from each parent.

How in the world can you tell if your breeder is either Homozygous or Heterozygous??

Quote:
by hatching out a ton of chicks
wink.png

I agree with this article a lot as many people "think" they create a mutation when it has been already created...makes it difficult in naming the variety. This is the most correct article there is right now.

Well know for a fact the British Range, english whites , and pharohs , all came from the common quails of Europe......they are not JAPANESE QUAIL.

But for some reason people think they are, not so. Corturnix corturnix are the common quail of europe.

Back
Top Bottom