Japanese Quail Color Calculator- Best Link

I'm a newbie to this forum and Coturnix quail. I went to a friends house who ordered eggs from eBay and picked 7 day old chicks by color alone. I basically chose 1 of each color chick or color combo chick she had. I was lucky and ended up with 5 females and 2 males. The one I like the best and would like to replicate and maybe start a pen and work on getting these to breed true is a hen that is a tux, top half being red with poor patterning at best, solid red on top side for the most part and solid white on bottom. I still have alot to learn and have read this entire thread and this is all so confusing to me. I'm am trying but not sure if she is Roux, Rosetta or Scarlett tux or if some of those words have the same meaning I'm assuming a Tibetan red has the wild pattern but with a red cast so thinking she is not that. I just now started collecting and incubating eggs. One of my males is a brown jumbo or standard wild type in color the other male is what u guys refer to as Manchurian I think being a blond color with wild pattern overcast throughout and maybe having a lil red in face and head. My question is, the wild pattern seems to b dominant from what I understand so out of possible males and that female I will get what u guys call an autumn something or a scarlet Rosetta not even counting in the pied gene. Is it possible to get birds from this cross that look exactly like her? I don't care if they r pied or not. If not what color male should I cross back to her out of the offspring to at least start the journey of replicating her color and eventually have them breed true. I know it would b easier to just buy more that look like her but I prefer to learn by doing. Please excuse me as being new to all of this my descriptions or slight understandings of any of this have made me come across as a tard? Any help would b greatly appreciated and from the last few post thought maybe we needed to get the thread to being closer to getting back on track anyways. If my descriptions of my birds colors make no sense at all please let me know and I will b happy to post pics of both the males and the female I referred too.

Btw I tried the quail calculator and was too ignorant to us it.

Last edited:
but lets look at the scarlet birds again, birds that are homozygous roux and heterozygous at 2 color loci, red (tibet) and yellow (italian)

cross them together and look at our outcomes... So, not a true breeding color.

well scarlet tux may be the most combos yet...and their is easier ways to get more percentage of scarlet tux from each hatch by crossing birds of different colors, look at the outcomes from scarlet x scarlet tux

would love to see pictures...we can try to reverse engineer... post away.

K got the pics. Wow when I went to take the pics I discovered the blond male had the jumbo male pinned in the corner and was beating the crap out of him. They have always got along fine b4 today with just maybe a little squabble over a hen during mating from time to time. My poor brown males is scalped and blinded in at least one eye. Rather then post a pic of a mutilated male, (I had to remove) I decided to post a pic of the hen who is marked exactly like him in every way except for the breast color of course. I only bought 2 chicks that looked exactly alike as I was told these were jumbos but so far cant really tell a difference in size compared to others. Ok so we all agree the brown bird in pic is a hen but we will just have to make do with what we have.

Brown male (female was nice enough to sit in since he had to cancel the photo shoot)

Blond male (who is a ********)

Red Tux female

Was just curious what the name for this color actually is so I just added a pic of her. I call her my chocolate or dark brown hen. She was the darkest colored chick.

My previous post questions still apply as b4 the brown male got took out of this mix today I have saved and some incubating, 20 some eggs from when both males were in the mix.
Also may have to research this but can one male cover 5 hens if my other male does not recover?

good deal on the pics, sorry bout your brown roo,

raining here now, so lets take a closer look at this...

easiest first. your brown (wildtype) female. looks like

Wh+Wh+ Br+- yw+yw+ e+e+ pi+pi+
Wildtype

the blond male... hmm, would say is "italian" heterozygous on the yellow gene.
we cant really be sure about the other 4 gene colors on blond guy, per se

but if he is only carrying the one recessive gene Yw gene at the yellow loci and no other recessive genes at another loci then we can expect
from a cross of the italian with the wild hen, that he will pass that recessive Yw gene to half the offspring and you will end up with half italian and if all eggs hatched out correspond to that formula, we may not have any underlying red or roux or split white genes. a split white gene would not show up in an italian line until crossed with a white bird.

K got the pics. Wow when I went to take the pics I discovered the blond male had the jumbo male pinned in the corner and was beating the crap out of him. They have always got along fine b4 today with just maybe a little squabble over a hen during mating from time to time. My poor brown males is scalped and blinded in at least one eye. Rather then post a pic of a mutilated male, (I had to remove) I decided to post a pic of the hen who is marked exactly like him in every way except for the breast color of course. I only bought 2 chicks that looked exactly alike as I was told these were jumbos but so far cant really tell a difference in size compared to others. Ok so we all agree the brown bird in pic is a hen but we will just have to make do with what we have.

Red Tux female

Was just curious what the name for this color actually is so I just added a pic of her. I call her my chocolate or dark brown hen. She was the darkest colored chick.

My previous post questions still apply as b4 the brown male got took out of this mix today I have saved and some incubating, 20 some eggs from when both males were in the mix.
Also may have to research this but can one male cover 5 hens if my other male does not recover?

now the tux hen...maybe red tuxedo or red (sf) tuxedo?

we know she carries the heterozygous tuxedo gene and either one or two tibetan genes at the red location. not sure about roux or italian markers. but again we can reverse test cross.
the italian by the red tux or scarlet tux is going to give you a bunch of colors, italian roo being heterozygous and the red/scarlet hen being heterozygous.

the last hen, some may call a dark range or a tibetan, carries 1 or 2 E genes at the red loci instead of e+

depending on the pureness of your roo, and whether or not the tibetan hen is SF or DF, if he is italian roo and nothing else toggled, crossed with a single factor tibetan hen you will get italian, rosetta, tibetan SF and wildtype. if italian roo and DF homozygous tibetan hen, you get just rosetta and tibetan SF birds.

Back
Top Bottom