Java Green peafowl questions

You will need to wait more time with green chicks, you will notice a small orange feathers in their wings which will tell their gender,

http://www.castlebury.net/greenpeafowl.htm

This page has more info.
I don't know what you mean with orange feathers. I never have seen orange feathers on my greens. The only clear mark to see the gender with approx. 6 months are the light bordered breast (neck) feathers of the hens.
As you can see on the picture, on the left side it is a male and on the right side it is a female. The males are never will have this border on the breast feathers. With approx. six months this is the only identical mark. Later you can see it on the hand feathers of the wings and other things but with six months this is the only clear mark for people which are new with greens.

Last edited:

These tan colored primary feathers here, aren't the hens will have black stripes on these feathers and the males feathers will be solid?

This is a correct mark when the birds are older but, as chicks all are having barred primary feathers and some young males will have up to 12 months barred primary feather too. But as I mentioned the breast (neck) feathers are showing clear the gender with approx. 6 month.

Back
Top Bottom