Java Thread

As far as I am aware, a Java is a Java. However not all Javas will meet the Standard of Perfection description set forth by the APA. Blacks and Mottleds are the only ones recognized by the APA. So I would say that whatever is the dominant feather color is what you'd call them, knowing that they may not meet the SOP for their feather color with those Auburn genes and that Whites and Auburns aren't officially recognized anyway. I'd like to see what the Blue Javas look like that were hatched recently.
Thank you bnjrob. I was hoping I could build my Auburns up using the blacks and still call them auburns. Appreciate the info!

Another question for anyone. Does the java have a slow growth rate? Mine seem to be growing very slowly. Maybe it's just me.

Thank you bnjrob. I was hoping I could build my Auburns up using the blacks and still call them auburns. Appreciate the info!

Another question for anyone. Does the java have a slow growth rate? Mine seem to be growing very slowly. Maybe it's just me.
All the other colors are recessive traits that are in the blacks - so working on your blacks will help you get other colors also. If you can breed your blacks, and when you find any exhibiting the auburn traits - breed the hens to that auburn roo of yours and you will be on a roll with auburns.

Yes, javas are slow growers. This is our first year with them and I see some big differences between the size of our javas and other people's "common" feed store type chickens that are the same age. I have heard some of the "old" java breeders recommending waiting a year or even two before choosing to keep them from being in your breeding program because it takes them longer to mature than non-heritage breeds.

All the other colors are recessive traits that are in the blacks - so working on your blacks will help you get other colors also. If you can breed your blacks, and when you find any exhibiting the auburn traits - breed the hens to that auburn roo of yours and you will be on a roll with auburns.

Yes, javas are slow growers. This is our first year with them and I see some big differences between the size of our javas and other people's "common" feed store type chickens that are the same age. I have heard some of the "old" java breeders recommending waiting a year or even two before choosing to keep them from being in your breeding program because it takes them longer to mature than non-heritage breeds.
Thanks again! I have a black roo as well, so I'm just hanging on to all of them. (6 total). And good to know about the slower growth. I was starting to wonder..

My Blacks are from ChickenCoach BTW.

Thanks for answering. This thread is so nice.

I was just given four mottled javas from a friend of mine. One roo and three hens. They are breeder stock, not hatchery. She was originally given a roo and two hens by someone who wanted to help further the breed and my friend has raised them and passed eggs and chicks to people for a couple years now. She has decided to cut down on the breeds she has and offered them to me because she knew I was looking for a nice roo to hang out with my girls. I got a couple pictures today but I need to get more of the hens.

I received some mottled java eggs from Monte Bowen and proceeded to incubate what we could and hope the broodies help us out. We had a sussex hen and a marans hen that went broody and I set a dozen or so mottled java eggs under them, a dozen went to a friends school for an incubator project and the rest went into our incubator. So far out of 48 eggs 8 have hatched. They just started pipping out a couple of hours ago. Monte mentioned to me to watch for yellow foot color and to cull for pink feet (if I understand correctly). 4 of the chicks have what appear to be all pink feet. I was wondering if the feet color changes as they grow. (These chicks pictured are only a couple of hours old.
I can't wait to see them grow up. They have such very sweet faces. BTW, these birds will be a 4 H project for my grandsons. They are real interested in heritage birds and we like the dual purpose nature of the javas. And when I say cull, I won't do that until much older and evaluate for all characteristics. We will process a few roos for the freezer I am sure. We have about 15 chicks running around that are marans and sussex crosses that will be meat birds too this fall.

Last edited:
well they are your birds and you paid good money for them...no yellow at all on feet is a disqualification IF SHOWING YOUR BIRDS. they can be great layers, broodies, and bred with a brightly yellow-footed male can throw babies with yellow feet. we all work with flaws in our birds. just my opinion!

well they are your birds and you paid good money for them...no yellow at all on feet is a disqualification IF SHOWING YOUR BIRDS. they can be great layers, broodies, and bred with a brightly yellow-footed male can throw babies with yellow feet. we all work with flaws in our birds. just my opinion!
Agree. I've been reading some of the breeding/culling discussions on Javas. You can't always be too picky starting out. There may be some other issues that need to be worked with that are more important than worrying about the pink feet. From what I was told when I got my mottleds was that mottleds are a bit harder to work with due to the various color issues in them. And now we have this one that is more black than mottled and each day he seems to have more gold in his feathers...

I was just given four mottled javas from a friend of mine. One roo and three hens. They are breeder stock, not hatchery. She was originally given a roo and two hens by someone who wanted to help further the breed and my friend has raised them and passed eggs and chicks to people for a couple years now. She has decided to cut down on the breeds she has and offered them to me because she knew I was looking for a nice roo to hang out with my girls. I got a couple pictures today but I need to get more of the hens.

He is adorable !
And he is so small !
But what a great face he has...looks like quite the character !

X2

As far as I am aware, a Java is a Java. However not all Javas will meet the Standard of Perfection description set forth by the APA. Blacks and Mottleds are the only ones recognized by the APA. So I would say that whatever is the dominant feather color is what you'd call them, knowing that they may not meet the SOP for their feather color with those Auburn genes and that Whites and Auburns aren't officially recognized anyway. I'd like to see what the Blue Javas look like that were hatched recently.
As far as most are concerned, there is only 1 color of Java, and that is black. They breed true for ever & ever and have been tested for genetic purity in an effort to bring back the pure breed.
Mottled is a lurking gene, and 2 birds having this lurking gene can produce offspring of mottled coloration.
I have yet to meet or speak to any Java breeder that recognizes the "Auburn" as anything other than impure genetics....an 'EE' if you get my drift.
If the bird's genes were pure, there would be no coloration on it except black, and in the mottled, white.
Don't even talk to Monte about the so called "Auburn".
he has been breeding Javas & supplied Urch with his line and for decades has hatched thousands of thousands of chicks and NEVER has he had so much as 1 "Auburn" sport pop out.
He insists someone inbred another breed into the black java to get an "Auburn" and so it is genetically impure, and should never be called a Java.
It CAN be a new breed and so should have a new name.
Side by side, you would never know they were the same breed, and technically, they are not.
Just sayin.
Keep track of the SOP & breed for SOP, and your flocks will improve, but you must cull all imperfect out of your flocks.
It takes time, and starting with the best you can find is a big help !

Back
Top Bottom