Java Thread

Pics
Pic of my kiddos out in the grass while hubby cleaned their brooder. Not to sure about it and a little chilly.

The chick with it's back us i the second pick from the kneck down right now looks like a little ostrich!
big_smile.png

a few of the BJs i just hatched out. look at that funny one in the top left! what in the world? these birds were completely sequestered on all four sides...I know it is a pure BJ but I have not seen one like that before.

I may be wrong but I think you have one (top left) that carries the Mottled gene that does show up from time to time in the blk genes
Cute chick pictures everyone! thanks for sharing

i am so lucky about that issue...chicken coach on BYC gave me my first BJs a couple years ago, and has taken some of my birds/eggs back over to his place (nice in case I lose my roo!) He and I are getting some Monte Bowen eggs later in the Summer to add some new blood. It is so neat knowing there is someone literally just down the road who is working an endangered breed like you are...peace of mind, comradeship, diversity, etc. And far from being competitive, we BOTH want the other to succeed, and just get more BJs out there into the world, for the good of the breed.

This is so true !!!!!!!!!!!

I may be wrong but I think you have one (top left) that carries the Mottled gene that does show up from time to time in the blk genes
Cute chick pictures everyone! thanks for sharing

It does have the mottled gene, first is the legs & feet= all orange, big clue here !
So it is said, breed this baby to yet another with the same gene clues, and you will get Mottleds.

Last edited:
My chicks that do not carry any mottled genes have black shanks, and yellow soles right off.
The mottled carriers have lighter down, sometime their entire bodies are yellow but a bit of black on the back.
Their legs are orange feet are orange.
These birds probably will go all black by adulthood but have light eyes.
Thus giving the mottled gene away.
BUT, if you breed 2 that carry this hiding gene, you will get mottled babies.
Mottled is a naturally occuring gene in Black javas.

I don't have mottled color in my javas. All of my javas are black with the green shine . The babies are black and white,but they turn black when feathered out.

Chicken Coach~~~~~~~~~ All mine turn black as well, but there does lurk the mottled in Black Javs,
And requires breeding 2 birds that both carry this gene.
I hatch alot of eggs, and have every so often a chick with orange legs & very light down, some with just a black bit on it's back...these light babies may even have light brown eyes.
IF I took all these and penned then together, we would get alot of mottled Javas !
They may all be black with dark shanks at adult plumage, but the gene lurks.

Back
Top Bottom