Java Thread

Pics
Any tips for encouraging broodiness in my Black Java flock?

I suspected one hen was heading that way - but then the temps SOARED (from 50 degrees daytime high to 80 degrees for the past two weeks). While I'm enjoying the sunshine on my face and ability to get the garden started without freezing my fingers - my hens have shown NO interest in becoming broody. Is it simply too warm?

Details: Current flock hatched more or less 4/1/11 at Garfield Farm Museum - so they're just a few day shy of 1yr.
Egg production: From 5 hens, have been averaging 22 eggs/week since Feb. 19th - before that, they gave me on average 16 eggs/week for the winter season. I neglected to count eggs in the fall - was too excited to have 'em!
Rooster: 1 very happy male. Is fertilizing the eggs, as every one I open to eat is fertile.
Coop: 3 nesting boxes, of which 1 is the choice box...this is the one the hen going broody set up shop in. She left the nest to roost though, so I know she's not quite ready. (It's my hen Tiger)

I've narrowed down which female has the physical form I'm looking to produce in my flock. And narrowed down who's laying which eggs to identify her eggs. (Boy that took a long while!) Now, I simply need a good momma! I'd really rather NOT incubate. But...if no one goes broody by mid-May, I might have to. I'd like new layers to take us through the first molt (happening this fall).

Any tips? Hints? Suggestions? Thanks!

I incubate tons of Javas and later in the summer i let the hens set their own eggs.I haven't noticed much of a difference in the chickens.The incubated ones seem tamer.Last summer i had hens setting in 104 temps and hatched them.This is the first year i had hens to go broody this early. Mild winter i guess.

Last edited:
bun.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif
bun.gif

GUESS what Hatched !!!???

I now have 15 Black Java chicks (and I think Robin sent all the mottled gene eggs ,but a few)
Still have 1 marans egg to hatch and 1 BLK Java to hatch.
1 OE she sent get murdered by fat fluffy butts setting on it's pip whole and I found it to late!
hit.gif

I did get one to hatch and its a pullet so I can't beat that!
Thanks a Bunch Robin!
hugs.gif
I'll get pictures after the other two dry and I make sure the rest hatch or don't

Any tips for encouraging broodiness in my Black Java flock?

I suspected one hen was heading that way - but then the temps SOARED (from 50 degrees daytime high to 80 degrees for the past two weeks). While I'm enjoying the sunshine on my face and ability to get the garden started without freezing my fingers - my hens have shown NO interest in becoming broody. Is it simply too warm?

Details: Current flock hatched more or less 4/1/11 at Garfield Farm Museum - so they're just a few day shy of 1yr.
Egg production: From 5 hens, have been averaging 22 eggs/week since Feb. 19th - before that, they gave me on average 16 eggs/week for the winter season. I neglected to count eggs in the fall - was too excited to have 'em!
Rooster: 1 very happy male. Is fertilizing the eggs, as every one I open to eat is fertile.
Coop: 3 nesting boxes, of which 1 is the choice box...this is the one the hen going broody set up shop in. She left the nest to roost though, so I know she's not quite ready. (It's my hen Tiger)

I've narrowed down which female has the physical form I'm looking to produce in my flock. And narrowed down who's laying which eggs to identify her eggs. (Boy that took a long while!) Now, I simply need a good momma! I'd really rather NOT incubate. But...if no one goes broody by mid-May, I might have to. I'd like new layers to take us through the first molt (happening this fall).

Any tips? Hints? Suggestions? Thanks!

Two things encourage broodiness in Heritage breeds:
Darkness & quiet.

bun.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif
bun.gif

GUESS what Hatched !!!???

I now have 15 Black Java chicks (and I think Robin sent all the mottled gene eggs ,but a few)
Still have 1 marans egg to hatch and 1 BLK Java to hatch.
1 OE she sent get murdered by fat fluffy butts setting on it's pip whole and I found it to late!
hit.gif

I did get one to hatch and its a pullet so I can't beat that!
Thanks a Bunch Robin!
hugs.gif
I'll get pictures after the other two dry and I make sure the rest hatch or don't

That is FANTASTIC hatching !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif
I now have TONS of Black java eggs..........................?

We are having Black Java omelettes here I am getting so many eggs !

I have a full gQf Cabinet 1500 and cannot set anymore !
One broody hen setting on 11 eggs, and about 20 chicks hatched out.

I am looking for a woman in SW Oregon

who asked for chicks this spring, but I have lost her username when BYC did the big changeover.....................

DH is on his way to NorCal leaving this morning & wanted to take this woman chicks.but lost her name !!!!!!!!!!!
barnie.gif

Seen anyone in SW oregon on this forum ?
Please PM me, or whatever you have to do to get ahold of me !

WELL THE POST OFFICE CALLED.......... MY JAVA EGGS ARE IN!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
NNOOOOOOOOOO.........................
rant.gif
MY MOM JUST TOLD ME THE LADY AT THE POST OFFICE SAID THE BOX SMELL BAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE AFTER 2 YEARS OF WATING............... PLEASE NO BROKING EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hit.gif
MY DAD IS PICKING THEM UP BUT WILL NOT BE HOME TILL 5:00 - 6:00
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom