Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Tinman, LOVE that pic!

codymax - they take a long time to fully fill out; that could be why.

Me? I LOVE huge chickens! So, it just totally made sense to breed Jersey Giants! They even have low pitched crows - so much more pretty to listen to than a squeaky small rooster! HA!

Quote:
Are you going to the Yankee Classic in Syracuse? They usually have a good turnout of giants. I got my first giants there way back in 2004.

I don't know why they aren't more popular - they've been my favorite from day one and are one of the breeds I will concentrate on when I get some land. They're not flighty, the hens are virtually silent, and their big bodies give you something to hug! (Not that my girls enjoy this - too undignified!) I look for them at every show. Good luck!

Wynette, we are in the minority with our big birds! No bird is ever big enough for me! Every show I go to, there is a larger proportion of bantams. At Cobleskill, three of the four rows of cages were bantys! I have all big birds - Giants, Orps, Wyandottes, Cochins, Sussex, New Hampshire. I have a handful of bantys - some gorgeous Favs - but I am looking for LF for them also. (Sigh) It's a banty world out there!

Last edited:
When do JG reach their full size? I know they grow really, really slow.
hmm.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

When do JG reach their full size? I know they grow really, really slow.
hmm.png

They grow tall really fast, then spend many months filling out. I don't consider them done for at least a year - that's only my experience. AND, unfortunately, I haven't grown roos, just hens. (Stoopid neighbors
somad.gif
)​

Quote:
They grow tall really fast, then spend many months filling out. I don't consider them done for at least a year - that's only my experience. AND, unfortunately, I haven't grown roos, just hens. (Stoopid neighbors
somad.gif
)

I "Had" 1 Blue JG roo, until something killed him.
barnie.gif

I have 2 Black JG pullets, 1 is alot older and mature then the other one. Then I have 1 Splash JG pullet. I don't know their exact ages, I'd have to look it up.
hmm.png

I have never been??? or heard of it!!! When is it??!!! Are you from NY ,I live in Liverpool, NY just outside of Syracuse!!

Quote:
Are you going to the Yankee Classic in Syracuse? They usually have a good turnout of giants. I got my first giants there way back in 2004.

I don't know why they aren't more popular - they've been my favorite from day one and are one of the breeds I will concentrate on when I get some land. They're not flighty, the hens are virtually silent, and their big bodies give you something to hug! (Not that my girls enjoy this - too undignified!) I look for them at every show. Good luck!

Wynette, we are in the minority with our big birds! No bird is ever big enough for me! Every show I go to, there is a larger proportion of bantams. At Cobleskill, three of the four rows of cages were bantys! I have all big birds - Giants, Orps, Wyandottes, Cochins, Sussex, New Hampshire. I have a handful of bantys - some gorgeous Favs - but I am looking for LF for them also. (Sigh) It's a banty world out there!

I think JG are not as popular as other breeds because people do not realize how pretty they really are. I get "You have BLACK chickens?" alot, until they see them and then it is "Oh they are so beautiful". With the green sheen and the bright red comb against the green grass. Now that the leaves are changing color they really shine. I have people call me on the phone asking if they can come over and show thier freinds my chickens.

Quote:
It's October 17th. I don't have the show catalog, as I'm not showing. It's a great show in a beautiful building. I hope, living in NY, that you've been to your own state fair - fabulous!! I think there is a small fee either for parking or to get in. I'm coming from five hours away. (ugh)

I'm soooooo going!!! I'm kinda new to this never been to a show before?! What can I expect, as far as prices, where they are selling them??I have been to our fair... it's great but VERY costly for a family of 5!! Are you coming to buy? or just look I might have to sell afew of my girls to male room if I find alot I like:drool We are in a neighborhood, can't wait to move to the country!!!
he.gif

Quote:
It's October 17th. I don't have the show catalog, as I'm not showing. It's a great show in a beautiful building. I hope, living in NY, that you've been to your own state fair - fabulous!! I think there is a small fee either for parking or to get in. I'm coming from five hours away. (ugh)

Quote:

The prices vary considerably, depending on the seller and the quality of the birds. It is MUCH cheaper than the fair - there are only a couple of stands open to get food - it's really just the poultry building that's open, unless there are other shows there. Last time I was there - same as in Ohio - there was an Alpaca show going on. The sale area is in another smaller building. I am open to pullets and hens, but I'm only looking for SQ at this time.

Back
Top Bottom