Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Awesome Sugar Farm,I have a Blue Girl & a Black girl I donated to a Young man to show for Us! cant wait till spring 4H Fair/! Congrats on Your Wins!! Love Your splash Girl Ours looks really close Will get a better pic soon! Jennh nice Roo!! I just lost my Black to a neighbors Dog!

Last edited:
Quote:
I already ordered mine from SandHill Preservation and then found out about Bobby Porto from reading postings here on BYC. He said he will send chicks as well as eggs but the shipping cost is high. I think if you want chicks from a good breeder you just have to bite the bullet and pay. I wish someone local to me had the chicks I wanted but no such luck....and I don't have a incubator. YET!!
smile.png

I Live near Bobbi and I have some of her birds, different line Roo and a Blue hen of hers. They are beautiful and big, but did ship in 2 pullets a blue and black from Peachy Keen who has Maria Hall & Bobbi (a girl)birds. I also looked into hatchery birds but found most folks who wanted SOP birds would mostly find production birds through the hatchery nice but ??. I already started with a mix of several different breed hens due to "lack of patience" only to have found it complicating my goals.
roll.png
but it is a colorful group ! And my Giant boy is color blind ! Now I am separating to 2 coops. I have quite a few giant chicks now from 2 to 6 weeks old to move forward. Thanks for listening ! Going to try and post some pics
lol.png

fifelake - I live in Michigan and breed Jerseys....Porto and Hall lines. I am also working on getting some from a really awesome old-time breeder who has a line he has bred for more than 30 years. I hear from a judge/friend they are FANTASTIC, and I am so hoping it works out!

SugarSands - what did you show your splash hen in? Splash is not yet recognized by the APA for Jerseys, correct? She is a beauty! I have one that looks very similar (Porto - is that what your girl is?), but she's a bit too tall.

Quote:
Wynette: Your Jerseys sound great....I know that you sell hatching eggs since I've been to your website. I wish I would have bought an incubator for hatching eggs prior to ordering chicks...however...I wanted to stay "simple" and let Mama hen do it in the future since I really enjoyed it when my former Blue cochin hatched out chicks. The way it is now..I have one 8X10 coop with 3 nests....a covered run of about 12x 10 and a small separate coop the size of a doghouse I used for my broody hen last time. With two breeds coming SOMETIME in spring (still no confirmation and I ordered on Jan. 7th but do understand you can't hurry hens)...I have to figure out how I will set up my area. I will for sure have to get another coop and have been keeping a eye out for one a minimum of 8X10. I will never have a big flock but would like to have a quality flock someday. We live in the north woods and years ago when I tried free ranging...I lost several to either coyote, coon or hawk. Therefore...I rarely let my hens out of the protected run....if I do it is late in the afternoon and I'm outside to keep an eye on them. So I need to fence in a bigger yard area. I will for sure keep you in mind in the future Wynette for new blood. Do you ever sell chicks if people pick up?

fifelake, I hatch from march through September, so if you are ever interested in some chicks, just let me know and I'll set extra eggs for you!

Back
Top Bottom