Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

To me, black #1 looks cockerel...ish, #2 looks like a pullet. #3 looks like a cockerel.

Blue - 1 & 2 look like pullets to me, #3 I would bet the bank is a cockerel.

Splash - 1 & 3 look like cockerels, #2 looks like a pullet.

To be honest, though, I'm not completely convinced of any of them yet except #3 blue. I'm not great at this!

barnie.gif

I hope there more them 3 pullets.
Yeah blue #3 acts just like a brat boy.
Pretty though he is. Oops handsome I mean.
I forgot there is a wk between 4 of them.
Bobbies hatched before yours the blks and the big bl (thought it was a blk at hatch)
I have 1 due to hatch in 2 days and a dozen I just put in.
So I hope all of those 12 hatch.
All the splash and 2 bl and 1 blk are yours the smaller ones.
Thanks not as bad as I was doing!
wink.png
I had 1 maybe 2 pullets.
Plus the two I kept from pride & joy.(pullets)

Quote:
It's a process, hatching, growing out, culling, hatching more....a LONG and often FRUSTRATING one, to be sure! Hang in there - cull heavily...you'll be so glad you did!

Today is my "hatch" day...after 4pm specifically. I have this evening...one "pip". Think the action will be during the night and into tomorrow!! We just finished fencing in all 3 coops and part of the wooded area for some larger romping and to protect against nasty dog that belongs to a nice neighbor.

Hi all! I am picking up my first chicks next Tuesday. Two of them will be JG
smile.png
I am soooo excited!!! Hope to talk the hubby into letting me get a rooster eventually, just love the thought of a giant black bird walking around our property! Anyways, I had heard or read somewhere that for the larger birds you should maybe do a higher protein starter, I think game bird? Appreciate your input! The other breeds are Dominique and Wyandotte. Want to make sure I get everyone off to a good start!

Last night I went out to the coop to do a head count and close up shop. I soon as walked in I notice all the chickens are acting funny. They are all sitting on the perch giving me sideway glances and shaking thier heads towards the broodies. Then I heard it "Peep". I`m like no way, SHE DID IT! she hatched 3 out of 4. (She crushed the 4th on wedsday). Plus they are 2days early.
celebrate.gif

Welcome to the thread, Jenkassai! I use regular chick starter for my Jersey babies with no issues whatsoever. I do supplement them with yogurt, but not until they are 3 weeks old. Congrats on your new birds - and please do post pics! We love pics!!

Tinman - WOOT! CONGRATS!!!!!

Here's my JG Ebony, I got her the same day I got Fiesta, from the same breeder in GA that works with the guy I got my coop from.

44847_pocket_egg_006.jpg

ignore the bald spot, as soon as spring is over it will grow back in... hormonal rooster!

For size reference the white splosh in the bottom corner is a rabbit's head (normal size broken english)

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Wynette, I really am so excited and you can bet I will be taking TONS of pictures
smile.png
Why do you wait until they are 3 weeks old to supplement? I come from dogs and I know with the large breed dogs you need to be careful to ensure they do not grow too quickly, didn't know if it is something similar with larger birds? Is that a silly question?!

Back
Top Bottom