Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I can say my two JG roo's don't give me eye contact, but starting young I never let them have a chance. I like to take lunges and random grabs at the roosters to show them who's the boss. I would however never trust any rooster in the presence of a child as any unfixed male can crack. That said, out of JG, Production red, wyandotte/cochinx roosters... I've never had a meanie. Now.... silkie roosters that can see past their crests, leghorn roosters, and easter egger roosters, lunge, punt, hold their heads to the floor and they will come back for more. The few of those I've had ended up soup about a month earlier than planned because of their attitudes.

Funny that you say that. I have 2 EE Roos and a Brown Leghorn who is the Alpha. The EE are big babies. The leghorn is friendly, but doesn't want to be held like the other two, but he sure tries to get his huge head in the food cup for a bite. They were raised together and I got them when they were 9mths or so. I had the 3 for several weeks and caught and held them until they are very well behaved. I have a brooder box with Silkies and Polish I'm sure there is a roo or 2 in there. I'm in the process of building my flock with EE, Leghorns, Australorp. Wyandottes, and some mixed breeds. I have Welsummers and Marans coming next month. I think I will add some Blue JG. ...oh and I have 2 unknown Bantams too.

I went to a youth show and got Reserve Champion American with my black JG hen!
smile.png

Champion American was a beautiful white Rock.

I don't yet have a picture, but I have a ?

I just got a pullet that has just started to lay, approx 9 months or so old.

She is claimed to be a "pure" JG, Black but her feathers have some brown tones in them - should I assume from this that she is not actually pure / Heritage stock, but rather a nice hatchery gal? (She has a wonderful calm friendly disposition & I'm told her recent first eggs were large so she is part of my layer flock at least) I'm just curious if pullets sometimes show some brown? Thanks.

I don't yet have a picture, but I have a ?

I just got a pullet that has just started to lay, approx 9 months or so old.

She is claimed to be a "pure" JG, Black but her feathers have some brown tones in them - should I assume from this that she is not actually pure / Heritage stock, but rather a nice hatchery gal? (She has a wonderful calm friendly disposition & I'm told her recent first eggs were large so she is part of my layer flock at least) I'm just curious if pullets sometimes show some brown? Thanks.
They shouldn't show any brown, so yep, sounds like she will be a great layer!!

They shouldn't show any brown, so yep, sounds like she will be a great layer!!
Ah ha, thanks (that is what I figured).
She is really very pretty w/ great personality & I've penned her w/ my pure Black Amer. Roo, so she has a nice future making eggs for eating/selling, or for a few EE daughters if she lays as well as I've been told.

Meanwhile, my quest for really nice Black JG continues...

First time out in the yard. Prince Galliant and his now three hen larger harem. Three pullets
and the cockerel are 11 months now from Wynette's eggs. The splash hen and two blues are
3 yrs old now. The black pullet is very nice along with the splash hen. Two blue pullets are
finishing a molt. The meet and greet went smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom