Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Just finished day 7 candle 6 out of 8 JG's looked great 2 of them im not for sure about.. i also set 8 delaware and legbar crosses same day only 2 of them was for sure fertile my old roo is not getting it done.. still very exciting as this is my first time incubating

Had to show of my 10 week olds! 2 Hens and 4 Roosters.... Oh goodness, just my luck.
idunno.gif

I love my Jersey Giants!
Sorry about the 4 roos.. but the pullets look AWESOME !!!... at 10 weeks they already look like a grown hen.. the Cockerals look good too

Here is my young JG roo im not sure of his age im hoping you guys can give me a idea? He has not crowed yet his spurs are just lil bumps under the skin. I put him in a stall with some older hens and he went beserk chasing them around and trying to breed them. Around what age do JG's usually start to crow and if hes in a pen with a older rooster will it keep him from crowing?

as far as leg bands go, i use the velcro straps, either for wrap your tv or computer wires or the craft ones. just cut them down to the size you need. with them you can easily adjust when needed, and they are easy to get off. and i put the soft side towards their leg for comfort.
we also used these when i was younger and we bred labradors. we used them as collars to identify the different pups.

Here is my young JG roo im not sure of his age im hoping you guys can give me a idea? He has not crowed yet his spurs are just lil bumps under the skin. I put him in a stall with some older hens and he went beserk chasing them around and trying to breed them. Around what age do JG's usually start to crow and if hes in a pen with a older rooster will it keep him from crowing?
as far as leg bands go, i use the velcro straps, either for wrap your tv or computer wires or the craft ones. just cut them down to the size you need. with them you can easily adjust when needed, and they are easy to get off. and i put the soft side towards their leg for comfort.
we also used these when i was younger and we bred labradors. we used them as collars to identify the different pups.
I like the velcro straps. They're easier to work with than cable ties, which is what I use, but I can never seem to find the velcro staps in enough colors to identify specific chicks in a hatch.

Sorry about the 4 roos.. but the pullets look AWESOME !!!... at 10 weeks they already look like a grown hen.. the Cockerals look good too

Thank you! The hen in the second pic to last has recently grown one black feather on her neck... I checked to make sure it wasn't dirt, and it wasn't, it's just a lone black feather... Anyone have any ideas?

I would guess cockerel is about 6 months old. Judging from the tail feathers at least. I have had other breeds that did not crow until later if in a pen with a dominant roo.

I would guess cockerel is about 6 months old. Judging from the tail feathers at least. I have had other breeds that did not crow until later if in a pen with a dominant roo.
Thanks.. I seen him crow this afternoon or his attempt to crow..lol he is gonna be quiet a bit larger than the other rooster and body shape looks alot better his back is longer better tail set and almost as tall even though he is a year younger but his legs are not very dark.. i have some very nice pullets about a month behind him with very dark legs and nice yellow feet pads.. also have 15 six week old chicks that look good also..i will pick from all these to choose what i want to breed

Back
Top Bottom