Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I understand; I guess it truly depends on what your goal is. If it's to preserve a beautiful, heritage-type breed or to show (which you've already stated you have no interest in), then hatchery quality will not help you. If you're just wanting a large bird that will lay nicely and be a good table bird as well, then hatchery quality will be just fine. But, I'm hearing mixed messages when you state you have a heritage line of blacks and are interested in "semi" show quality. There's nothing wrong with hatchery birds, they're just not heritage bred, nor are they exhibition quality. They do serve a purpose, though.

Tell us what your goals are, and maybe we can come up with more suggestions on how to proceed. Also, just to add, I would certainly not be afraid to buy some hatching eggs; of course, as you say, you'll never get as good a hatch as you would from eggs right off a farm and not shipped, but they are SO worth it.

Which reminds me...I've held back a nice looking young male from my hatch of Black Giants from Cliff Calhoun of Ohio; this male is a bit of a conundrum for me. He's growing out differently from what I am used to seeing in my line, but I am very much liking what I am seeing. I'll get some pics soon & get them posted here. I think he may just end up being quite a boy!

I got a hold of the Jersey Giant Club, (sorry no clubs for me, been there & done that) there is no one very near me with the Whites. If I were to get some from a hatchery could I breed them to the blacks and get white to brred on and build up to the standard?

I know a guy that might have picked up some in central KS. This fellow is living in SW Missouri, might be near enough to you .... when his start producing.

I guess "semi" is the wrong word.
I want the heritage birds a definate. I just don't know how to get there without spending boo-koos of money that I don't have. Shipping eggs becomes expensive when you spend the money for the eggs and the shipping then get 2 to 4 to hatch. Shipping live birds especially grown ones become very expensive.
I know there are people that start with hatchery birds and breed up. The professor from the University of Arkansas Fayetteville has done this with his White Silkies.
I will figure something out May not even get into the whites, just thinking maybe I would since I have the blacks.

Thnaks for your help.

Quote:
Maria's Jersey Giants, since 1977

2013 PRICE LIST
Hatching Eggs (black, blue, splash) for $125/dz. includes PRIORITY Shipping/Handling. Express mail is $20/dz more.

12 newly hatched chicks-$14 each plus $25 Priority Shipping & Handling. The Box is included in price.

3 - 6 weeks of age (unsexed pets)- $20 each

PET PRICES

6-12 wk Pullets - $70.00

6-12 week old roosters- $35.00
6-12 wk. pair: $90.00
It's a pity you don't live closer, mine might be just what you are looking for.​
Yes, that is the websight I have been looking at! Yes, expensive. But she does not sell just 4 or 5. I would need to buy sexed pullets. It is sad to kill the boys. Yes, you are a little too far from me. I may have to wait. We are going to be moving and we need to find a place where chickens are allowed.​

Seriously...please look around. You can get better stock for less money. (IMO) These birds aren't bad, I've had some on my farm in the past; but, do your homework. Just sayin'.

Seriously...please look around. You can get better stock for less money. (IMO) These birds aren't bad, I've had some on my farm in the past; but, do your homework. Just sayin'.

I would have to concur with Wynette here. And I have nothing against Maria.

I got great show quality, birds a lot cheaper at the national meet. To me, Show Quality birds breed to try to meet SOP is heritage, as the SOP has not changed a whole lot in the last 90 years.

If you go on the Jersey giant website, and can get a member directory, there are people on there with birds/eggs that are just as nice for a lot less.

Regards,

Framac

My Jersey is still a nutcase and hasn't laid in 5 weeks :( She's just finishing her molt, so i'm hoping she starts laying again soon... I've been so busy the past 4 weeks I haven't had much chance to spend with my birds so i'm homing I can get this girl more friendly otherwise she's going to end up in the freezer... she spooks my usually calm birds with her frantic brain. This is the first time in the few months that I've owned her, that i've seen her lay down while I was within 8 feet of her sitting on a bucket... and I sat there for half an hour before she would lay down. Sigh.. such a beautiful bird, too..

My Jersey is still a nutcase and hasn't laid in 5 weeks :( She's just finishing her molt, so i'm hoping she starts laying again soon... I've been so busy the past 4 weeks I haven't had much chance to spend with my birds so i'm homing I can get this girl more friendly otherwise she's going to end up in the freezer... she spooks my usually calm birds with her frantic brain. This is the first time in the few months that I've owned her, that i've seen her lay down while I was within 8 feet of her sitting on a bucket... and I sat there for half an hour before she would lay down. Sigh.. such a beautiful bird, too..

She is huge! And yes, she is a good looking bird...too bad she is not doing too good for you. Good luck!

I would have to concur with Wynette here. And I have nothing against Maria.

I got great show quality, birds a lot cheaper at the national meet. To me, Show Quality birds breed to try to meet SOP is heritage, as the SOP has not changed a whole lot in the last 90 years.

If you go on the Jersey giant website, and can get a member directory, there are people on there with birds/eggs that are just as nice for a lot less.

Regards,

Framac
I'm concurring with Wynette and Framac on this.
Do your homework there is some good breeders out there at are that will sell for less.
4-h mother

Hello everyone. I've been in the "planning stages" for 2 years now. I didn't want to "jump" into something on a whim so I've taken my time because I want to do this "as close to right " as possible. Lol
I'm glad I waited though because we moved this summer and now I have a much smaller area to work with. :(
I was raised with chickens. I really want my grandchildren to have the experience as well. :)
When I first began my research I really wanted to start with Buff Orpingtons, but now I'm hooked on getting Black Jerseys. I want both the temperament and the hardiness.
I am wondering if anyone has dealt with the Welp Hatchery. Good/Bad, etc.
Any input is greatly appreciated. I plan to be ordering for spring. I can't wait! :weee

Back
Top Bottom