Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

20 Eggs collected so far, Setting Friday
celebrate.gif

I'm picking up ten or twelve Black Giants on March 4th. Is there anything different about raising them than there is raising standard size chicks? We've got Black Australorp, White Rock, Rhode Island Red, EE, Black Sex Link right now. Picking up some Seramas this week too, but they'll be kept inside the house. :) I tend toward extremes. As witnessed by the dogs. I had an English Mastiff for years and now we've got Chihuahuas. From 182 pounds for one dog to 4 pounds each. LOL

20 Eggs collected so far, Setting Friday
celebrate.gif

FANTASTIC! I would be doing the same..............if I were getting any.
sad.png

BEST of luck!!
I'm picking up ten or twelve Black Giants on March 4th. Is there anything different about raising them than there is raising standard size chicks? We've got Black Australorp, White Rock, Rhode Island Red, EE, Black Sex Link right now. Picking up some Seramas this week too, but they'll be kept inside the house. :) I tend toward extremes. As witnessed by the dogs. I had an English Mastiff for years and now we've got Chihuahuas. From 182 pounds for one dog to 4 pounds each. LOL
Giants really don't require any different type of care until they are older juveniles; just raise them up on chick starter and you'll be just fine. There are other things you can give them to eat beginning their 2nd week (such as yogurt, SMALL bits of leafy greens along with chick grit, etc.), but they are not absolutley necessary to raise up a strong, healthy bird.

The last few years I have not had great hatches, so my wife got me a new incubator. So this is it's maiden voyage, and a test hatch for my eggs, here is hoping I can get 75%

Framac

Thanks Wynette!!!!!

I'll be grabbing an incubator in the next couple weeks too. Very excited with my first venture into incubating!
Very, very exciting - please do keep us posted on your hatch!

I think you're really enjoy your Giants. They are my favorite breed....(sssshhhh....don't tell my Marans peeps!).

Was just this morning discussing with someone who has some birds hatched from my stock, and I had told her "way back" that heritage bred Giants truly do take a full 2 years to completely mature and fill out. The first year, they'll grow their frame, and the 2nd, they'll fill out.

She PMd me and said she was truly shocked at how huge hers were at the two-year mark, and how much more they'd filled out in that second year.

Giants most definitely take longer than most any breed to mature...but - to me, a well-bred, completely mature flock of Giants is a thing of beauty walking across your field....
love.gif

Very, very exciting - please do keep us posted on your hatch!

I think you're really enjoy your Giants. They are my favorite breed....(sssshhhh....don't tell my Marans peeps!).

Was just this morning discussing with someone who has some birds hatched from my stock, and I had told her "way back" that heritage bred Giants truly do take a full 2 years to completely mature and fill out. The first year, they'll grow their frame, and the 2nd, they'll fill out.

She PMd me and said she was truly shocked at how huge hers were at the two-year mark, and how much more they'd filled out in that second year.

Giants most definitely take longer than most any breed to mature...but - to me, a well-bred, completely mature flock of Giants is a thing of beauty walking across your field....
love.gif

Wynette,

I so agree with you about the two yrs to reach their Magical Beauty. In the past I have culled heavy this yrs I'm not culling as heavy to see what I get in Two yrs.. Can't wait to start setting eggs. My flock is not laying enough to plug in Bator...Only a matter of time weather is always changing in Indiana!!

love.gif

COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER!!!!

Wynette,

I so agree with you about the two yrs to reach their Magical Beauty. In the past I have culled heavy this yrs I'm not culling as heavy to see what I get in Two yrs.. Can't wait to start setting eggs. My flock is not laying enough to plug in Bator...Only a matter of time weather is always changing in Indiana!!

love.gif

COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER!!!!
So you use yours as meaties? That had been my original intention, but given how long it takes them to reach maturity I was second thinking the idea. Was leaning more toward the Brahmas for meaties. I won't do Cornish X. I know a lot of people have had success with them, but given what I've heard about most I just can't do that. I want a healthy breed. I also don't want to feed a meatie for a year before I can have it processed either. Doesn't really make sense financially.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom