Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Quote:
I am really hoping my big blue boy tops out at 15. More would be fine with me!
lol.png

Quote:
My Millie (in my avatar) was a solid 10 lbs. My new white pullet is way bigger than her at six months. I'll have to get her on a scale somewhere - now I'm curious. A friend of mine had some 13 pounders, maybe a 15. He's got some nice roos.

For comparison, his 6-yr-old brahma roo was 17lbs when he passed this past spring.

This is my 9 lb hen next to her boyfriend - the 17lber!

6103_dscn0179.jpg

He belonged to my friend, who does giants and is working on partridge brahmas. He has great birds. I keep bugging him to get on here. I'll have to take pics of his birds next time I go up there. He's in NJ, as well.

Last edited:
I believe Bobbi Porto has added a different line of Giants. She has some new roos and hens that are now laying. I bought one of the new unrelated bloodlines Black Roo a few months ago and he is BIG and sweet, just started breeding. I also have on huge blue hen from Bobbi and 1 blue 1 black hen from Peachy Keen that is Marias Bloodlines too. Bobbi is hatching eggs from an unrelated group I bought as well as hers for me right now. Just got 7, 3 week old chicks from her the other day. Correct, large and typey JG's have been really hard to find and I want to see the breeders for sure. Looking for White Jersey Giants right now.
Thanks for listening...Love my critters, Love to share !!

Just weighed my 5.5 month old JGmix pullet. She weighed in at 5.25 pounds. Compared to a pure bred JG, is this big or small for the breed?

Last edited:
Quote:
I have no idea. I have never weighed mine.

You've never weighed them?
ep.gif
What are you thinking! Big beautiful birds like yours and you don't weigh them daily? How do you resist the urge? Jeez!
lau.gif
Just kiddin', but I would be tempted to weigh them pretty often... like every week or two.
big_smile.png
I still drool looking at the pictures of your birds!
I weigh all our chickens at five weeks when they leave the brooder, at five months when the leave the grow out pen, at one year old and then once a year after that. Too much trouble, and totally un-necessary but I'm a little on the stupid side when it comes to record keeping. I just like the comparisons and looking to see where my flocks are going as far as my breeding projects go. My wife tells me every day I'm crazy, and I believe she might be right.
wink.png

I really do think you need to post more pictures Kathy.. Give those of us who can't possibly buy any more birds until spring something to dream about on these cold winter nights.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom