Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I have a question about a certain flexing color that I'm seeing on the wings as well as some around the neck on ? it is a gold color and I see it only from one breeders chickens that I hatched from eggs ( I have two flocks from two different breeders ) Is this a indication of cross breeding or are they just not pure ?? Sorry if you have discusssed this earlier , but I have dial up and it would take forever to go through all the postings

Quote:
I'm going through the same thing right now. I have 4 that were supposed to be Aussies. 2 have yellow feet and skin and 2 have cream feet and skin and none have layed yet at 27 weeks. Another thing that I have read is that the JG have 6 comb points and the Aussies have 5.

My Jersey girls were hatched in March. The Blacks have been laying for at least a month, the Whites are just now starting to lay. The eggs are initially small and have increased to a large size.

My mom and I fell in love with Jersey Giants at a show this fall but we are having a really hard time finding any. The ones we do find they are upwards of $40 per bird
barnie.gif

Does anybody sell or know anybody who will sell and ship hatching eggs of good quality Blue
droolin.gif
or Black Giants.

Quote:
Good quality ones are hard to find. If you can look at them and determine they are, in fact, of good quality, they are worth the money, in my opinion. Remember..... getting hatching eggs from show winners does not mean every chick hatched will be show winners. I figure 1 in 10 (keepers) is a good estimate in that area.

Good luck in your search for Jersey Giants! They really are terrific birds!

Oh, I'm so angry at my JG girl today. She's usually so sweet. A little aggressive over food. She's a HUGE porker. And I only have her and a Buff Orpington right now. So there's really no cause for aggression over food.

Anyway, I think I may be over treating. The BO is going through her first molt and I've been giving them a high protein snack each afternoon, BOSS, scrambled egg, meal worms, etc. And I let them both eat. The JG is 13 months old and I've read that they don't fully mature till 1.5 years of age so I figure she needs the protein too.

So last night, I gave them some free range time in the big yard. My JG LOVES slugs and I helped her find a bunch so she should have been pretty full. I put them back in their run and gave them a handful of meal worms which they gobbled up.

When they were gone, she stood there for a minute, then reached over and nailed the BO in the back and ripped out a feather.

I've NEVER seen her be aggressive like that. I scooped her up. She hate to be held and flipped her onto her back and held her like a baby. She didn't like that but laid in my arms and I told her she was naughty. I held her for about two minutes and then set her down.

I'm thinking this was aggression over food and I need to cut back on the treats. But GRRRRRRR. Oh, and DH saw this and ran around yelling FREEZER CAMP, FREEZER CAMP. Now, I live in the city. Just have the two hens. Would NEVER kill one. Even when they stop laying eggs, they will live out their lives as beloved pets in my yard. But he only learned that term last week and thinks it's hilarious. I have to seriously wonder what my neighbors think.

Just had to vent and thought this was as good a place as any. I've got to look up Stan the Rooster's address and send her there. No party for her though. She just needs some discipline from someone who's higher up on the totem poll than she is.

Back
Top Bottom