Just bought four ducklings off the back of a bike. Any idea what type they are?

Not sure what type of ducks they are, but they are def not Muscovy, or not full bred, anyway. We live on a lake and have tons of them frequenting our backyard, sometimes they even make nests in our chiminea and hatch their young. I'm with you, they are not the prettiest breed, but they're overall very quiet and not skiddish. Here are some pics of the last ducklings born. As you can see, they have much more brown then yellow on them.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Not sure what type of ducks they are, but they are def not Muscovy, or not full bred, anyway. We live on a lake and have tons of them frequenting our backyard, sometimes they even make nests in our chiminea and hatch their young. I'm with you, they are not the prettiest breed, but they're overall very quiet and not skiddish. Here are some pics of the last ducklings born. As you can see, they have much more brown then yellow on them.
[/URL]

muscovy are either full bred or unable to reproduce so idk what u have

Here are some photos from this morning. These aren't great photos because they are very skittish. The ones with the black heads are starting to get green feathers on their heads. This is a male thing, right? AGHHHHHHHH

Beautiful ducks and their coloring is awesome.

this reminds me of Runner/mix just the body stance

this one too.
Is it still the same about drakes having green heads even if mixed breed? what about voice have you been able to hear differences that way?

Is it still the same about drakes having green heads even if mixed breed? what about voice have you been able to hear differences that way?
I'm thinking unless the mix included a breed in which the females also had green feathers, like a cayuga, then the green head would still indicate a male (although a lack of green head wouldn't necessarily mean female).

I don't think there are any runners in Cambodia (I wish!) He sort of had a funny stance in that photo because I had just grabbed him and dropped him in a cage and he was freaking out. So far I haven't been able to tell much from their voices. I know that some are pretty definitely male (one of the light heads and one of the black heads) but the other two are still making duckling noises. No quacks unfortunately.

I have read that "Indian Runners" did not originate in India at all, but in Indochina--Cambodia especially. Is this wrong?
From your photo, those ducks sure have the body conformation of Runners! I would guess there is quite a bit of Runner genetic material in these ducks. Still, my opinion will defer to much more experienced people, like Miss Lydia for example.

Back
Top Bottom