Just bought four ducklings off the back of a bike. Any idea what type they are?

lina500

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Cambodia
I realize that I should have found out if they were Pekin-type or Muscovy before I got them. 60 cents each, though, hard to pass up! Any idea what they will look like? One has orange feet and the others are a more muted orange that has a sort of greyish cast to them.

Edit: my neighbor says they aren't Muscovy. I am relieved. They are very popular around here, though!

Last edited:
I realize that I should have found out if they were Pekin-type or Muscovy before I got them. 60 cents each, though, hard to pass up! Any idea what they will look like? One has orange feet and the others are a more muted orange that has a sort of greyish cast to them.

Edit: my neighbor says they aren't Muscovy. I am relieved. They are very popular around here, though!
Now if I saw something like that I'd be so upset. Those poor lil ducklings with out food or water being carted around on the back of a bike.
You should have bought them all.
wink.png

Well they aren't full blooded Pekin nor Muscovy but could be a mix of both which that is a nice cross. They don't have he tell tale muscovy bill either which can show up on crosses. What do you have again Muscovy?

I know! The poor little guys. It was hard to resist getting more. I don't like the faces on Muscovys, I just don't think it's as pretty. Call me shallow. We need to rehome one of our boys (we have two boys and two girls and the girls are exhausted) so we got four girls and once they are grown he will go to his new home with either three or four of them. We cut a deal with a friend who has a farm that he would take them if we would get him some girls to go with him. Hopefully these are all girls. We were told that they are, but...

What does a muscovy bill look like? Why do you think these are crosses? More importantly, what do you think they will look like when they grow up??

Note the goose in the background, pacing, desperate to get in and chat with the ducklings.

Last edited:
I know! The poor little guys. It was hard to resist getting more. I don't like the faces on Muscovys, I just don't think it's as pretty. Call me shallow. We need to rehome one of our boys (we have two boys and two girls and the girls are exhausted) so we got four girls and once they are grown he will go to his new home with either three or four of them. We cut a deal with a friend who has a farm that he would take them if we would get him some girls to go with him. Hopefully these are all girls. We were told that they are, but...

What does a muscovy bill look like? Why do you think these are crosses? More importantly, what do you think they will look like when they grow up??

Note the goose in the background, pacing, desperate to get in and chat with the ducklings.

Maternal instinct kicking in with your goose. lol I was just going by what you said as far as Pekin/Muscovy that they could be a cross between the 2 but right now hard to know as they grow they will most likely look more Pekin since they don't have the sharp point on the tip of their bill that Muscovy ducks have. They sure are cute.

Our poor goose is desperate to be a mama but our gander won't mate with her! How long do you think I should wait before I let her near the ducklings? She's very gentle.

I looked up photos of "mulard" ducks and they do seem to gave the same coloring as these guys, white with black tails and top of the head.

Our poor goose is desperate to be a mama but our gander won't mate with her! How long do you think I should wait before I let her near the ducklings? She's very gentle.

I looked up photos of "mulard" ducks and they do seem to gave the same coloring as these guys, white with black tails and top of the head.
Try putting your goose with them and stay right there and watch to make sure she is treating them with love and attention actually both ganders and females make wonderful parents so try them both with supervision. You may find the ducklings don't care to be mothered but you never know till you try.

Last edited:
You know... except that they're missing the stripe on the head, they remind me of Silver Appleyard ducklings. The dark tail and dusky body... Whatever they are, they are stinking cute!
love.gif

The do have a little stripe on their heads but not as pronounced as a silver appleyard! I am dying to know what they will look like. I think a "mulard" is very possible, but I've also seen some ducks around here that are black and white and green. All of the breeds around here are mixed, but we do have some unusual looking ones in our garden. :)

The do have a little stripe on their heads but not as pronounced as a silver appleyard! I am dying to know what they will look like. I think a "mulard" is very possible, but I've also seen some ducks around here that are black and white and green. All of the breeds around here are mixed, but we do have some unusual looking ones in our garden. :)

They are adorable did you try your female goose with them? they remind me of the barred Muscovy ducklings with their blk in the tail feathers. can we get a view of the bills?

Are these ones better? You can click for bigger versions. We put the goose in with them today and she seemed terrified of them! I'm going to try again tomorrow. She definitely wants babies, and this is as close as she's going to get, so hopefully she will want to take over. :)

Back
Top Bottom