Just curious who else is living super frugal

Funny you mention it, generators in the tack shed. Currently trying to think of a way to run it a few hours a day and no more power co bills. I have to be able to run my furnace in the winter. I have a wood stove in the basement but my house ins co said they'll drop me if I start using it. Had a house fire in 2007 and lost everything, had to rebuild it all. Problem is I had no house ins so I won't be losing that. We went for nearly 11 months w/o power or water and at that time all my 5 children were at home. If we can do it, others can for sure. It wasn't pretty by no means but we survived it.
wow, you sound like a great prepper! all that matters is that you have food, water, and you took care of your kids!!!
thumbsup.gif

I had a great frugal shopping spree this weekend.

Dollar General had a 70% off clearance items and I lucked up and found a few things.

Halloween paper plates. $0.30 per pack. I bought 10 of them.

Halloween door mats were only $1.00. I bought 5 of them. They are heavy and thick.

Bottles of Cinnamon for $0.13. I bought 7 of them.

Lip Balm (rang up for $0.22) and Anit Gas Capsules (2) ( rang up for $0.75)

Pasta sauce. They were $0.10. I bought 17 of them.

Salad Tongs - $0.35. I bought 7 of those.

Super 1 Food Grocery Store Sales
2 lb containers of Dannon Yogurt at Super 1. They only had 2 of them. They also had the Organic Stoneyfield - 2 lbs for $1.00. Only 1 left.

I also scored 2 gallons of goat milk. They were $1.00 each. 1 Skim milk gallon for $0.75.

Super 1 also had turkeys on sale that were $0.50 a lb. I bought 4 of them to give away. I usually put together a box of food (Thanksgiving Dinner) and give away to a couple families who can't afford to buy any food, so the turkeys will be going to 4 families.

Too bad you can't ship. :oops:

I have shipped in the Winter to Colorado. I freeze all my Chev're & put ice packs in the box. Chev're is a cheese that you can defrost in the refer & any unused portion can be re-frozen without a problem.

I would like to talk to you about possible shipping some to me. Can you PM me on your prices? Thanks.

Hi Erinszoo, I would like to see the recipe for your yogurt!  We drink goat's milk and eat goat's yogurt.  Look forward to seeing your recipe.  Thank you.

Okay, here it is.
Put milk in crock pot on low heat for 2 hours 45 minutes. Then turn it off and leave it alone for 3 hours.

For each 1/2 gal of milk add 1/2 cup plain yogurt with active cultures. It can be greek or regular. Mix the yogurt with a little hot milk to make it easier to blend in. Stir well. Replace the lid. Then wrap the crock pot with a beach towel and place in a cooler for 10 - 12 hours.

It won't be as thick as store bought but it will thicken in the fridge.

Use within 2 weeks and save some to start your next batch.

Simple but it does take most of a day. We leave it wrapped overnight then portion out in the morning. My kids eat it with homemade granola for breakfast.

Thanks.

Will try it this weekend.

Dollar General had a 70% off clearance items and I lucked up and found a few things.

Halloween paper plates. $0.30 per pack. I bought 10 of them.

Halloween door mats were only $1.00. I bought 5 of them. They are heavy and thick.

Bottles of Cinnamon for $0.13. I bought 7 of them.

Lip Balm (rang up for $0.22) and Anit Gas Capsules (2) ( rang up for $0.75)

Pasta sauce. They were $0.10. I bought 17 of them.

Salad Tongs - $0.35. I bought 7 of those.

Super 1 Food Grocery Store Sales
2 lb containers of Dannon Yogurt at Super 1. They only had 2 of them. They also had the Organic Stoneyfield - 2 lbs for $1.00. Only 1 left.

I also scored 2 gallons of goat milk. They were $1.00 each. 1 Skim milk gallon for $0.75.

Super 1 also had turkeys on sale that were $0.50 a lb. I bought 4 of them to give away. I usually put together a box of food (Thanksgiving Dinner) and give away to a couple families who can't afford to buy any food, so the turkeys will be going to 4 families.
That's Awesome!

Halloween paper plates. $0.30 per pack.

That is inspiring that you give the gift of Thanksgiving dinner- how it must seem to them that someone cares enough and loves them enough to help them.

That pasta sauce was a good bargain especially! That will be a lot of meals and pasta is already inexpensive too. I buy pasta at the dollar store sometimes and it is very good- Barilla brand.

Halloween paper plates. $0.30 per pack. 

That is inspiring that you give the gift of Thanksgiving dinner- how it must seem to them that someone cares enough and loves them enough to help them.

That pasta sauce was a good bargain especially! That will be a lot of meals and pasta is already inexpensive too. I buy pasta at the dollar store sometimes and it is very good- Barilla brand.

Thanks

The Barilla brand is my favorite brand to buy.

I am excited to learn there are so many that still want to be frugal. I keep trying, but seem to slip. I have done the Dave Ramsey class and loved it! My hardest part is seeing money in my account and thinking, "Oh there was the blah, blah that I wanted and now I have the money for it, so I get it." It is a mindset I am still fighting. We sold our house in town to move to the country, but haven't gotten there quit yet. We don't have credit cards and don't plan on having them. We did get a newer vehicle (2005) and have a loan on it, but we should be able to sell it if need be. We do need it to at least move.

In the county we plan to raise or trade for everything we would eat. We currently live in an Amish community and in doing so, you see how frugal can be possible and still be happy. We have a wood stove, homeschool and hope to turn our homestead into a farm that we can profit from as well. We do have cell phones on a plan we share with my parents, internet and no cable, only Netflix.

I grew up canning occasionally and so I know the basics. Aquiring the canning jars and the greenhouse and gardening items are what is going to kill us. I really want to get things going for this spring and hope it all works out!

So glad to hear all the ideas!

I am excited to learn there are so many that still want to be frugal. I keep trying, but seem to slip. I have done the Dave Ramsey class and loved it! My hardest part is seeing money in my account and thinking, "Oh there was the blah, blah that I wanted and now I have the money for it, so I get it." It is a mindset I am still fighting. We sold our house in town to move to the country, but haven't gotten there quit yet. We don't have credit cards and don't plan on having them. We did get a newer vehicle (2005) and have a loan on it, but we should be able to sell it if need be. We do need it to at least move.

In the county we plan to raise or trade for everything we would eat. We currently live in an Amish community and in doing so, you see how frugal can be possible and still be happy. We have a wood stove, homeschool and hope to turn our homestead into a farm that we can profit from as well. We do have cell phones on a plan we share with my parents, internet and no cable, only Netflix.

I grew up canning occasionally and so I know the basics. Aquiring the canning jars and the greenhouse and gardening items are what is going to kill us. I really want to get things going for this spring and hope it all works out!

So glad to hear all the ideas!
Focus on one thing at a time to work on and you will feel more successful. If you try to do it all at once, you can quickly become overwhelmed. I have a zillion things I want to work toward, but I'm focusing on edible landscaping right now. It feels good to know that you can check things off the list of "want to do". Chickens or canning is a great way to start :)

Back
Top Bottom