Just curious who else is living super frugal

Quote:
ya.gif

Yea Sharon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great start! You are doing great!!!! Keep up the good work. One day at a time.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I don't think anyone needs to tell you...I think you know. (I think deep down we always know). And what every relationship needs to be successful is a sense that you are a team, that you are working together.
It sounds like you are currently in the stage of empowering yourself and taking life by the horns. If/When you are ready to move on, move forward into your new life boldly and with confidence. You can do this. And make your new life into exactly what you want it to be. Be frugal by choice - so that yes, you have enough money to get the cello restrung for your daughter etc.

Gloriously said.

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
woot.gif

Every journey starts with a single step in the right direction!

Do any of you keep all your appliances on power strip plug ins? Did you know that appliances like TVs, VCRs, toasters, microwaves, coffee makers, computers, etc. all draw phantom loads of energy even when they are off? Keeping them plugged into power bars that you can turn off can prevent this quiet power sucking from making your electric bill higher.

Electric alarm clocks draw an amazing amount of energy. I've found that using all battery clocks really saves me money...and has the added benefit of not making one late to school or work if the electric goes off in the night for any reason.

Water saver shower heads that you can turn off between soaping and rinsing sessions can really save water if you are on a public water system. So can adjusting your toilets so that the back doesn't fill completely after each flush.

Reusing clothing instead of washing it after the first wear can cut way down on energy used doing laundry, as well as cut down on the wear and tear on clothing. Having "school clothes" and "home clothes" for the children can help in this way also. Teach them to change out of their school clothing as soon as they come home.

Prepare your own "fast food" at home and freeze in single serving sizes so you can just pack it for lunches. Much cheaper and healthier than the alternative.

Make a game of buying foods that can last all month when you go shopping....then refuse to go back to the store until the following month. If you have teens, it helps to hide food in the form of "ingredients" instead of buying ready-made snacks. They won't eat as much or as often every evening if they have to cook it themselves.

Quote:
Doesn't that just feel so good?!?!? Now, do tell me that you brought something healthful from home to eat instead of going without?

Quote:
The main problem is that we have two houses. Selling my house isn't an option... the market is too soft still and has been for years, and it needs some renovation of one room (it has a converted garage that was not converted correctly by the previous owner, so it has to be converted up to code... which means re-doing the entire conversion). His house is a bit bigger than mine and in a better neighborhood, and therefore costs more. We spend a week at his house and a week at mine, because the weeks that he has his son (he has full joint custody) the daycare and school his son goes to is closer to his house than mine. The school district where my house is, is the better school district, so my daughter goes there... and my animals are at my house because he doesn't "have the space" for my coops and animals.

To be honest, I think this relationship is doomed because he doesn't want to work together. He constantly says we should sell my house because then we'd have more money, but my parents are on my note as co-signers and if I sold the house now I would be selling at a loss AND it would affect them, but he doesn't care. Also, with the attitude he has, I'm not sure I *want* to sell it, if you know what I mean.

The things couples fight about most is money. Two homes that are empty 50% of the time??? Really? Rent your home out to someone and keep your animals there. Live at his house. He helps pay for your kids and his own kids? Really??? You are complaining about blessings I never came anywhere near in raising my own 3 kids.

Quote:
What a great idea! I never thought of a frugal journal to make me realize how much I am saving when I don't spend.

Quote:
Doesn't that just feel so good?!?!? Now, do tell me that you brought something healthful from home to eat instead of going without?

It does feel good.....I want MORE! LOL (No, not more food, more of that feeling....) I did bring food from home to eat. (Some of it was healthy..some not.) And I brought some Crystal Light drink mix that has caffiene in it because I'm truly addicted.......I was afraid I'd get headaches, not having so much diet pop.

Quote:
What a great idea! I never thought of a frugal journal to make me realize how much I am saving when I don't spend.

You know, these things I buy every day seem very trivial. BUT when I write them down, it seems like ALOT! I'm going to show my husband when I get home how much I've saved today and see what he says.........I wonder what kind of a reaction I will get from him.....

Quote:
I love this line.
lau.gif

Congratulations, Sharon!!!
thumbsup.gif
Journaling / keeping a binder is a huge help. Not only do you feel more organized (which feels soooo good) but you can actually see your progress made.

Quote:
This is a bit harsh, don't you think? Go back and read the last couple pages, the problem is his lack of paying his share & general disregard. He's not paying anything for her child.

Back
Top Bottom