Just curious who else is living super frugal

Quote:
I love this line.
lau.gif

Congratulations, Sharon!!!
thumbsup.gif
Journaling / keeping a binder is a huge help. Not only do you feel more organized (which feels soooo good) but you can actually see your progress made.

Quote:
This is a bit harsh, don't you think? Go back and read the last couple pages, the problem is his lack of paying his share & general disregard. He's not paying anything for her child.

I thought so too....some things just aren't worth money. Struggling against someone who doesn't see a relationship as a full on give and take is not worth any money that may come of the union.

I raised three boys on my own also, no child support....and though I scraped the bottom of the financial barrel more times than I can count, I did it without having to deal with a stubborn, selfish individual that likes to have his cake and eat it too.

Blessings? I don't call that blessings. It clearly has become a burden to this woman who is bearing the bulk of the load(she makes more), trying to modify expenditures, and still contribute to a relationship that isn't reciprocated in kind.

Quote:
Drink tons of water for a few days, you won't get headaches.
wink.png

I will do that! Thank you for all your help.....You have been a real motivator, along with Rathbone and Beekissed....and others....

You're welcome
smile.png
You're good people, I'm sure you'll help someone else once you get your frugal footing. I think another thing we all agree on is that "paying it forward" is a good thing!

Quote:
Wow. So supportive. You might want to re-read.

I can't rent my house. My parents co-signed on it, and they don't want to be landlords. They have to agree for me to rent it. He won't rent his own.

He doesn't pay a dime to my household. He also doesn't pay for groceries, which both he and his son consume although his son is only there half time. He doesn't reimburse me for the gas I use every day he has his son to take his son to and from daycare (because he works nights and gets home at 4am, is asleep by 5 am, and doesn't "feel like getting out" to pick up his son from daycare after school). He doesn't pay for ANYTHING except his own bills and utilities... but wants me to sell my house at a loss to live in his house in a worse school district and most likely screw my parents in the bargain. I think not.

Back that truck right on up, because you are so wrong.

I strive to be frugal/self-sufficient/off the grid too, but I do believe it is not possible 100% these days (for a lot of reasons). It takes money to live and it takes a lot of time to live self-sufficiently. It seems one has either time or money, but not both. Running a farm requires tremendous time and should ideally not require working outside the home. However, it takes a lot of money to buy a farm. We saved for years until we could afford a farm. Now we don't have time to run it because we are at our jobs all day. I grow lots of food, but don't have enough time to prepare it and preserve it. It doesn't pay to sell the food because people won't pay more than grocery store prices. It takes a lot of money to buy solar panels and wind towers. It takes a lot of money to insulate your home and own electric cars. I spent over $1,000 on my chicken coop we just built. I think I could buy a lot of eggs for $1,000. But you gotta live too. Life is short and you can't be so cheap that you never enjoy yourself. Wouldn't it be nice to go back to the good ol' days when only spouse had to work outside the home? Imagine all of the small farms that could be booming! It seems to be a trend now that people want to go back to the land and be self-sufficient now, but most people think you're crazy still. I personally have less stress in my life being debt-free and enjoy life a little more than people who just want to keep up with the Jones'. It's a great lifestyle, but it is by no means cheap to do, takes a lot of time, and is not 100% do-able.

Going off-grid isn't the only way to be more self-sustaining and one doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles to accomplish an off-grid existence.

We did it when I was growing up with just wood heat, propane fridge, chainsaw, tiller, hand tools and a hand pump for the well~and we had cows, horse, chickens, pigs, turkeys, ducks and my sis raised goats. One doesn't need windmills, solar panels or high farm production to live simply and cheaply, be it off grid or on.

What you need, really, is one good partner working off the place and one good partner working on the place.

Summer98 - how are babydoll sheep fleece in terms of quality/quantity? I'm a spinner, and was debating what fleeces I'd like to barter for next year. I've never spun it. One of these days, I really want a couple sheep.

Last edited:
You could simplify that down further to just one good partner! In today's throw-away society that is increasingly harder to find.
hmm.png

Hmmm...You know what I love about this thread? You know what makes is possible for me to dig down deep and share how I feel and what my situation is? It is the feeling that although we are all at different stages you are all so very supportive. So to each of you who take the time to be supportive to others THANK YOU. What we don't need is negativity and judgement. Maybe we could all try to play nice?

Back
Top Bottom