Just curious? Who names all their chickens and who doesn't?

I LOVE naming things. Even if I had 100 chickens I would probably name them all. I like the idea of naming chickens based on their appearance/personality. My Buff Orp is named Amber.
big_smile.png
When my sisters and my chickens were chicks, though, we just called them the Babies.
smile.png
<3

I dont have my chicks yet, I plan on getting them soon. I am going to get 3 and name them LuLu, Amelia, and Thelma!
wee.gif

Of course you name the chickens. You wouldn't call your kid 'hey short one' would you? My grandkids get the biggest kick out of naming them and of course, I have a chicken named after each one of them. We have everything from Butterscotch to Hairball to Dragonfish...don't ask!
frow.gif
D.gif

I name mine if they have unique personalities! I currently have a Tuffy, Baldina, Butterball, Speckles, Ash, Puff, Motley Crew, Cassidy, and Moonshine. As you can see, some have ppl names, and others get descriptive ones.

I'm naming the ones I plan to keep for eggs and such, which is only a couple, but the rest I'm not naming. This is my first time raising my own food, and I get really attached to my pets, so I'm trying to stay distant, if that makes sense. I don't want to make butchering them any harder than it needs to be.

Our chickens are all named by my now 9 year old daughter:
Mimi & Violet (EE's)
Hootie & Bob (GLW's) Bob is short for Roberta, Hootie used to be Hoot Hoot after a Pokemon character but the name got unwieldy so I shortened it
Coco (Polish) named after Coco Chanel
Buffy (Buff Orpington) after Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Gallifrey (Red sex-link) named after the planet of the Time Lords from Dr. Who
Being the we only have hens and we have only 7 and that they are pets who lay eggs, naming them was kind of like naming the cats or the dog. We've been lucky, though, haven't lost any and with such a small flock, there's no way we could get away without naming them since they are technically belonging to a 9 year old. Even her stuffed animals have names!

I think that the youngest grand-daughter named our one Polish Top Hat, two Naked Necks and two SS Hamburgs-the other 61 are called "here chick chick" and they come running. My chicken math was out of control this year. We were going to get 15 more layers but got 31 plus the 5 odd ball breeds. They are so cute and the feed store is too close.

Well, since this is the first time I've had chicks I wracked my brain to come up with 14 names. I used a lot of family member names. Oddly enough, many of the chickens actually do resemble their namesakes. Go figure. I sympathize with the person who no longer likes to name their chickens because they end up dying. I know (not from personal experience, but from reading the posts of others) that the time will come when I lose some but I'd like for them to know that they were cherished during their time here.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom