Just In Time Hatching Egg AUCTION and BIN Thread

I'm not interested in buying or selling, but what do sapphires look like?
You can look them up on google but basically they look like a white leghorn with a crest. They can have some black leakage in the feathers since they just have one copy of dom white.

if this is true, could people be selling 'sapphires' as frost-white legbars??

IDK.... I do know that when GFF first started selling CCL's they had some that were white. My guess is those are the White version of CCL's.
i have some frost white legbars so i was just being curious, i dont really know what the differences are between the sapphire and white legbars, but i feel like i need to look it up now
Thanks!!
and sorry for chatting on the thread :oops:

i dont really know what the differences are between the sapphire and white legbars

'Frost' white legbars are legbars that are recessive white. Sapphires are a cross between leghorns and legbars. That's the difference :) One is a pure breed, the other is a mix.

Last edited:
The White Legbars ("Frost" is an adjective added in my Myers Hatchery but is NOT part of the name of the variety) are a new variety of Legbars created from white sports in the original Legbar lines. They have two copies of the recessive white gene just like white Marans and about every other non-leghorn recognized white variety of chickens. The White Legbars have a proposed APA standard of perfection. They were not created from crosses so their egg color is superior to a hybird hen. There is even on study that was going around a few years ago to support them producing better egg color than a pure Legbar due to the effects of the white gene on both plumage and egg pigments.

The Sapphire is a Hybird hen. It is NOT pure breed so egg color is going to be faded in comparison to pure Legbars. As a hibird cresting will be smaller than a well breed pure legbar. Egg color will be lighter. Their will be less uniformity in body type and shape, etc. The Hybird will lay 50% more eggs than the pure bred Legbar though. So the Shappire is a production hen. It will produce a lot more eggs than a pure bred but the egg color will not be as good, the type will not be uniform, they will not be as hardy as a pure bred, etc. They get their white color from the Dominat White gene found in White Leghorns from the cross of a Legbar with a White Leghorn. At hatch they will be yellow with black spots where as the White Legbar with the recessive white genes with not have any black spots.

Last edited:
The White Legbars ("Frost" is an adjective added in my Myers Hatchery but is NOT part of the name of the variety) are a new varriety of Legbars created from white sports in the original Legbar lines. They have two copies of the white gene just like white Marans and about every other non-leghorn recognized white varity of chickens. The White Legbars have a proposed APA standard of perfection. They were not created from crosses so their egg color is superior to a hybird hen. There is even on study that was going around a few years ago to support them producing better egg color than a pure Legbar due to the effects of the white gene on both plumage and egg pigments.

The Sapphire is a Hybird hen. It is NOT pure breed so egg color is going to be faded in comparison to pure Legbars. As a hibird cresting will be smaller than a well breed pure legbar, Egg color will be lighter, their will be less uniformity in body type and shape, etc. The Hybird will lay 50% more eggs than the pure bred Legbar those. So the Shappire is a production hen. It will produce a lot more eggs than a Pure bred but the egg color will not be as good, the type will not be uniform, they will not be as hardy as a pure bred, etc. They get their white color from the Dominat White gene found in White Leghorns from the cross of a Legbar with a White Leghorn at hatch they will be yellow with black spots where as the White Legbar with recessive white gene with not have any black spots.

Not turning this into a chat.... Sapphires are a CROSS and not a breed. A "ONE HIT WONDER". They are SUPER BLUE EGG LAYERS! They have the HIGH production that WL have and from what I have seen great blue egg color. (My Pure Legbars eggs look almost green next to a Sapphire egg PERSONALLY I think it is because they just have one copy.) As for hardiness... crosses are ALWAYS hardier than pure breed birds. That is why people are always looking to "ADD NEW BLOOD".

Can we please get back to what this thread is for????

$50 plus shipping for 32 MIXED LOT OF EGGS Basically What is laid that day.
You can omit but you can't pick what else is in the box.
(don't message me asking for a DOZ of 3 breeds not going to happen)

Blue Rocks - Blue cock over 2 GSBR hens 1 Blue GSBR and 2 or 3 solid Blue pullets/hens - there will be some sexlinked in this pen

Blue and Black Marans - Black Cock over Blue and Black Cuckoo Marans and a few Solid blue marans so again some sexlinked in this pen

Isabelle Leghorn - 2 RC Split cockerels over 5 or 6 IL hens/pullets and 3 Split pullets (these splits were just added a week ago too) You will get splits and you will get RC and SC from this pen.

Blue Silver Penciled Rocks - Blue SPPR Cock over 2 Dick Horstman SPPR hens and the rest are from my breeding from this pen and blue and black and splash are possible.

Olive Egger - Blue Copper Marans cock over CCL pullets These should be sexlinked I just set this pen up last week and the pullets were with a CCL cock prior to this cock.

Blue Exchequers - Blue Cockerel over black hens.

Sapphires and SBEL - 3 Pens 1 EE cock and the other 2 are CCL cocks over WL or WL Crosses

CCL - These are PURE CCL but when some lines were crosses the autosexing is a bit muted. They feather in correctly but they will not look correct at hatch.

Rose Comb WL - Just a pair so not many eggs

Silkies - 1 Trio of Blue and Splash with a SG, Paint Pen with a SG cock, Fun pen with a Choc Sizzle, White Frizzle, SG, SPW, blue and blacks.... get a little of everything from this pen. I have a pens with a Gray Silkie cock over several blue laying pullets that are expressing silver and penciling but all the pullets are smooth feathered. Project pen to make more Gray Silkies.

Just Message me I can start shipping next week.

$50 plus shipping for 32 MIXED LOT OF EGGS Basically What is laid that day.
You can omit but you can't pick what else is in the box.
(don't message me asking for a DOZ of 3 breeds not going to happen)

Blue Rocks - Blue cock over 2 GSBR hens 1 Blue GSBR and 2 or 3 solid Blue pullets/hens - there will be some sexlinked in this pen

Blue and Black Marans - Black Cock over Blue and Black Cuckoo Marans and a few Solid blue marans so again some sexlinked in this pen

Isabelle Leghorn - 2 RC Split cockerels over 5 or 6 IL hens/pullets and 3 Split pullets (these splits were just added a week ago too) You will get splits and you will get RC and SC from this pen.

Blue Silver Penciled Rocks - Blue SPPR Cock over 2 Dick Horstman SPPR hens and the rest are from my breeding from this pen and blue and black and splash are possible.

Olive Egger - Blue Copper Marans cock over CCL pullets These should be sexlinked I just set this pen up last week and the pullets were with a CCL cock prior to this cock.

Blue Exchequers - Blue Cockerel over black hens.

Sapphires and SBEL - 3 Pens 1 EE cock and the other 2 are CCL cocks over WL or WL Crosses

CCL - These are PURE CCL but when some lines were crosses the autosexing is a bit muted. They feather in correctly but they will not look correct at hatch.

Rose Comb WL - Just a pair so not many eggs

Silkies - 1 Trio of Blue and Splash with a SG, Paint Pen with a SG cock, Fun pen with a Choc Sizzle, White Frizzle, SG, SPW, blue and blacks.... get a little of everything from this pen. I have a pens with a Gray Silkie cock over several blue laying pullets that are expressing silver and penciling but all the pullets are smooth feathered. Project pen to make more Gray Silkies.

Just Message me I can start shipping next week.

But I only want the Marans, CCL, and Isabel Leghorns! Lmao

Back
Top Bottom